Whole Wheat Pita Bread

@jmk2tzus Welcome to Breadtopia and the forum! I hope you enjoy meeting, discussing and baking with your fellow Breadtopians.

Baking blessings to you,
Leah

@raul I look forward to hearing about your results. I’m sure they’ll be delicious.

When I first learned to do this the pita dough was hand patted and stretched to shape. I also used to hand pat my corn tortillas but age has caught up with my hands (and the rest of me too). I think doing the shaping by hand will work out well. Just be sure to allow a little time for the dough balls to rest so they don’t resist shaping too much. Depending on the strength of your flour as little as a 5 minute rest after shaping the ball can be enough rest time.

@jmk2tzus That’s a great idea. Cut into wedged they’re also great for dipping.

Dave

Tried them yesterday, oh so good and worked out just as laid out in the video - I was happy as a child when they puffed up in the oven - filled them with homemade tzaziki, BBQ’d chicken thighs tomatoes and onions with patatas bravas on the side - a Spanish and Greek evening - oh lala, so good!

1 Like

What a dinner!!

1 Like

This was amazing. Ended up using Spelt flour which need a bit more to get to the same consistency as in the video.
I did a little happy dance when the all puffed up. :slight_smile:
Forgot to move the rack up higher, so the bottoms were not as puffy as the tops, but still produced fillable pockets.
Tangy and chewy just as pita bread should be.
Thank you so much for this and all the great recipes shared here.

These are fantastic. Fluffy with a bit of tang, not at all like the dry leather pockets you get from the store. I used 50% whole wheat and 50% bread flour because I live with a whole wheat skeptic. I’ll make them again for sure.

1 Like

@PeterF @in2insight @LoveAndSqualor Pitas are fantastic! There’s something about making them and seeing them puff up in the oven that I love. I actually have made them with bread flour only as my husband has medical dietary restrictions and isn’t supposed to eat whole grains. So I end up compromising on a number of my bakes. Nothing like homemade pita!

Baking blessings,
Leah

I am new to grinding my own wheat berries and this blog. What a wealth of information available. I had great success with the whole wheat pita bread using hard white wheat berries ground finely without sifting.

2 Likes

This recipe produces excellent pocket pitas. Love it, especially with whole wheat flour.

What about thick fluffy pitas, Israeli style - the fat, soft, spongy variety you mop your hummus up with? Does anyone have a good way to imitate the superb lunch food in Israel? I love the simple hummus and pita (with a small container of olives and pickle on the side) I get for lunch when visiting HQ near Tel Aviv. Haven’t been since 2019!

For our hummus fix, a friend from work gave me his family recipe that involves cooking the chickpeas with sweet potatoes, garlic, carrots and onions - and shelling (each of!) them. Hard work that pays off!

But the soft, fluffy pita? Online recipes throw a LOT of yeast at the problem … very quick, and many bake in a pan.

There must be a better way for a baker …?

I think I know what you’re referring to, and we don’t have that exactly on Breadtopia, but you might try this recipe for sourdough Naan.

I’ve been making triple the recipe and then baking the breads on my pizza stone. They puff like pitas and are a little thicker.

Here’s the how-to and photos on that:

And here’s a pic I took of a falafel sandwich from a restaurant near me with the bread I think you’re talking about :slight_smile:

And a pic from their online menu:

Kudos to you for popping each chickpea out of the shell! I don’t have the dedication lol

Thank you, Melissa,

I will try the naan recipe and report.

The pita you’ve taken pictures of looks exactly right for a hearty pita-hummus-shwarma meal. I hope you figure out a way to recreate that in a home oven!

aditya

1 Like

I searched for this recipe after almost ten years! So glad I found it. I did sourdough years ago when I homeschooled my children and I got my started going a week ago and have been searching for this recipe ever since, my favorite sourdough recipe, pita bread. I googled some key words that I could remember from your recipe and method and I’m so glad it worked. We’re having fresh pita this weekend! Thanks again!

I have had great success with this recipe. The pitas are not quite as soft as the commercial whole wheat ones I’ve purchased. I’d love recommendations of how to make them a little softer and less chewy.

Try replacing the water with milk, that should make them a little more tender.