Whole Wheat Pita Bread

(Eric) #1

Originally published at:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you don't see the "Reply" button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue "Log In" button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:
0 Likes

(FlourDusted) #2

I can’t wait to try these pitas Eric! I am thinking Heritage Red Fife freshly ground. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial!

0 Likes

(makeays) #3

I’ve made pita bread once…I have my own dried and stored in the freezer sourdough starter I’ll have to try with your recipe. Thank you for your videos. They are always so helpful.

0 Likes

(jyn510) #4

I make pita about 2-3 times a week and use whole wheat flour with a little buckwheat flour. I cook the raw pita on a cast iron on both sides and then puff it on a hot electric coil with a stainless steel rack laid on the coil. Homemade pita is so different from store bought, ready made pita. It is really worth the effort!
I posted a recipe in “Reader’s Recipes” under Forum.

0 Likes

(Marcia) #5

Eric,
I am so excited to make your recipe for Pita bread. I own a stone of 30 years that I am excited to use for this recipe!! I am sharing with family and friends your video. Thank you so much!!
MM

0 Likes

(Marcia) #6

Put together last night-baked this morning-results are fantastic!!

0 Likes

(Mitchell) #7

I am planning on trying out whole wheat pita bread with our home made hummus this week.

Question 1. Regarding proofing - I am wondering if I can mix, and stretch and fold the night before and put the dough in the refrigerator? I will then remove dough from the refrigerator in the morning (may need to punch down) for the 8 to 12 hour proofing time.

Question 2. I am thinking of adding rehydrated dried onions to the dough. Any thoughts on technique modifications?

0 Likes

(Eric) #8

Sure, you can put the dough straight away into the fridge and resume proofing the next day. I’m not sure you’ll need to punch it down after removing it though.

Don’t know about the onion. You might need to add a smidgen more water to the dough if the onions absorb much. Too many onions could weaken the dough and cause the sides of the finished pita to tear a little easier. If you don’t add too much it should be fine.

0 Likes

(ckbks) #9

Thank you very much for sharing this excellent recipe. I’d previously adapted a yeast recipe to use starter, but while tasty the pitas did not puff properly. Your instrux in the video for placing the rolled pitas on a floured baking sheet to use as a peel into the oven were outstanding–the technique worked perfectly and every pita puffed and split beautifully. For flour, I used 20% (100g) King Arthur bread flour and 80% (400g) Community Grains Whole Milled Hard Red Winter Wheat. I baked them on a Baking Steel. A keeper!

0 Likes

(annie) #10

Thank you SO much for this recipe and the fantastic, clear video. I have always had unpredictable results making pita bread. I have only tried it on the stove top with heavy bottomed stainless steel or cast iron pans. Thank you for showing how you simply use a cookie sheet in place of a peel. Awesome! I don’t have cookie sheets but I do have several nice jellyroll pans that I flip over when making cookies. And I have a large baking stone that, for the most part, has been just sitting there gathering dust. I can’t wait to put it to work with pita breads.

0 Likes

(Elizabeth) #11

A hot mess! This was my first attempt at baking with my sour dough starter. I thought the pita’s would be easier than the bread recipes. HOWEVER, let me just describe the fiasco…

First or all, my starter looked like the pictures, doubled in size, all the right things. I took it out last night, fed it, and let it sit out over night. This morning, I put the dough recipe together. I kneaded it with my Kitchenaid mixer for 5 minutes. Looked good to me, but I don’t know what it should look like. Then, I put the dough into my newly purchased Brod & Taylor proofing box. Cool, huh?

The dough rose nicely to double in size in about 9 hours. So. I thought I could proceed with rolling out my pita circles (thank goodness I halved the recipe or only had 4 rounds). The dough stuck to my rolling pin ( brand new 1/8 inch one the Eric used), so I kneaded the dough a little more with a bit of flour (Dough too wet?), and tried again.

By the time I got to my 4th round, the dough was sorta round like Eric’s. The other 3 were hideously misshapened. They didn’t puff up. Actually one of them did, but they were crunchy and were way too sour. Yuk. Why was it soooo sour?

I never dreamed that I wouldn’t be able to do something that seemed so simple. By all means, tell me what I did wrong and whether I should try again or buy my bread at the store from now on…

0 Likes

(colc) #12

I have been baking pitas according to this recipe for several weeks now, but every time about 50% of the pitas puff up at one end only.
Here is an example; put two on the stone, the left side did not puff up much, the right side was perfect, so I decide to put only one on the stone on the right side, it only partially puffed up.
Everything else is identical, I use a 100% hydration sourdough starter which consists of fresh milled wholewheat and Rye flour in equal proportion.
The rounds are identical in size (thanks to my Joseph Joseph adjustable rolling pin)
Considering all that I am at a loss to explain the inconsistency, any ideas out there?

0 Likes

(annie) #13

I started the Pita breads last night and baked them this morning. All eight of them puffed up perfectly but when cooled, cut in half and pulled open I found that the bottom side was quite thick and the top side perfectly thin. In fact, the bottom side was thick enough that I popped it into the toaster and it was exactly like an English muffin. lol! Very tasty actually…with butter and marmalade.

Here’s what I think: In my exuberance to bake these little puppies I forgot to read through all my notes so I missed the part about raising the oven rack. I also missed the part where you say that the stone takes a good hour to heat up properly. I think I only gave my stone about 45 minutes.

Another thought: I rolled the dough to the measurements you give (3/16" to 1/4") but my Pitas seem to be too small in diameter. And I used your gram measurements to the T. The dough looked exactly like yours. I think next time I will make them just a little thinner and wider.

What do you think?
And thanks again for this wonderful technique. I have finally made good pitas that only need small adjustments.
PS: I used my sourdough starter.

0 Likes

(Eric) #14

I think the adjustments you suggest would help. The sides of my pitas are never perfectly even. Just even enough :grinning:

0 Likes

(William) #17

On the whole wheat pita bread recipe, the video stated 1/2 tablespoon of oil while showing you using a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon. I printed out the recipe and it called for 1 tablespoon of oil. I guess that I am a bit confused as to which amount I should use.

0 Likes

(Eric) #18

The printed recipe is a whole recipe which calls for 1 Tbs of oil. In the video, I split the recipe in 2 (in order to demonstrate instant yeast vs sourdough leavened pita) so each 1/2 recipe gets a 1/2 Tbs of oil.

0 Likes

(ngolovin) #19

I have been on an Einkorn kick of late. Love the taste. Can I swap all the whole wheat for Einkorn? Does it have the gluten to form a good bread. I have found I need to add a little vital wheat gluten to my 100% Einkorn breads to get the crumb I like.

0 Likes

(Eric) #20

It is pretty tough to get an all einkorn loaf to hold its shape. Especially if you’re also going for a more open crumb with high hydration. I wouldn’t be too surprised if a skilled baker could make it work. When I make einkorn bread, I use an oblong cloche (narrow with sides to shore up the dough) or a standard loaf pan. For pita bread, the dough might be too fragile to puff up like you get with higher gluten wheats. So, yeah, maybe some added vital wheat gluten would be necessary.

1 Like

(moondance) #21

Do you have a source for the yellow handled long scraper you are using in the video?

0 Likes

(Eric) #22

Google “cake lifter”. Amazon carries one made by Wilton that is cheap rated highly.

0 Likes