Vegan Sourdough Spelt Sandwich Loaf

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Hello, how would you scale this for 8 x 4 pans?

And has anybody else gotten stomachaches from particular batches of flour, particularly spelt flour? I do not get stomachaches from wheat flour. I’m trying to figure out whether a particular batch of organic bulk whole spelt flour that I made sourdough loaves with was bad. It caused tremendous gas in the whole family. It has made me hesitate to buy whole spelt flour again. I did not have a problem with white spelt flour.

I’d calculate the ratio of the volumes of both pans. And then use that to multiply each ingredient.

If someone has a different approach, please share!

You didn’t give your pan height, but I’ll use 2.75 for an example.

9x5x2.75 = 123.75
8x4x2.75 = 88

88/123.75 = 0.71

Multiply each ingredient by 0.71
(or if you want two loaves, multiply by 1.42)

I haven’t had stomach issues with spelt, and I do get the milled flour sometimes. Though usually I’m working with the berries.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that process at all! I often make some % of a recipe as I have a small dutch oven. An alternative for any not wanting to do the math, you could make the entire recipe, eyeball volume for the bread pan and shape the extra into a couple of rolls to bake free form. (@maplesugar)

This recipe write up is extra good :slight_smile: with explanations that will help everyone!! I just mixed up the dough (non-Vegan version) and it is easy, quick and I’m excited about the bread. I have a longer artisan dough in the works and this was very timely for me, for this weekend. Thanks!

I heated milk, put honey and butter in the warm milk to cool it while I measured up the rest … combined, mixed (stand mixer) and all came together per the photo … I think 15 minutes start to in the bowl.

Good point about the rolls.

I’m glad you enjoyed the write-up and were able to mix everything up quickly. Great idea to cool down the milk with the butter and honey.

This looks great, I can’t wait to try! And thank you for making a vegan version, my plant-based family will surely love this!

I want to make the non-vegan version but I want to use the leftover whey from making homemae ricotta in place of the scalded milk. So you think this work? Should I warm it back up to 180 or just put it in at room temp?

Thank you,
Kelly

@cmcdonald1022 I hope your family enjoys it!

@kjgarner412 That is a great use for leftover whey. I think you boil the milk for homemade ricotta so your proteins are all set, and you can just bring the whey up to room temp. Either way, scalding milk is not absolutely necessary.

We have a whey braided bread recipe on the site, too, if you haven’t seen it already:

I have made it and it was delicious. That is the recipe that made me think of this! Looking for a sourdough sandwich bread recipe. Thank you for the quick response!
Kelly

1 Like

YAY! I saw your squishing of the bread teaser video on youtube and got excited because my husband wants soft sandwich bread. Can’t wait to try it! I’ll probably make it both ways because we have our grandbabies coming next week and one of them can’t have dairy.

Love it! You can see what’s coming down the pipeline from those YouTube uploads.
I hope your family enjoys the breads.

1 Like

Hello Melissa,
Thank you for sharing yet another wonderful recipe!
I followed the recipe and used home milled spelt flour, but mine cracked on the side. Perhaps I didn’t wait the full 2.5 hours?
I’ve attached a picture with the hope to get some feedback
Thanks,
a

It could be a few things:

Underproofing makes for bursty expansion.

Not greasing the pan much can make an edge stick and then the dough breaks above it.

Not putting the dough in the loaf pan seam down can leave a good spot for bursting.

There might be more reasons too. Do any of those sound possible?

I had a bit of a break on one side … not as dramatic as yours, but I think based on what you said, @fermentada comment, mine was slightly under proofed. The crumb on the bottom of my loaf is a bit dense compared to the rest.

Overall, though, minor complaints and this recipe is so quick! I mixed at about 9:30 a.m. and at 6:30 p.m., I thought it still had a ways to go so I stuck my dough (unshaped) into the refrigerator. I happened to be up about 2 a.m. so set it on the counter then and it was warmed up and looked good for shaping at 6 a.m. I baked at the 3 hour point and I’m guessing it could have gone another .5 - 1 hour to be really perfect. Still, delicious, soft sandwich loaf! I used Breadtopia bolted Spelt and WheatMT white. AND, my starter was cold out of the frig, although fed 3 days ago. Cool house 62-64F.

1 Like

Looks lovely. Nice even crumb and soft crumb. Perfect sandwich loaf. That very slight burst on one side could be under proofing but you’re only looking at mere minutes I think. So difficult to get absolutely spot on. Only way forward is to replicate the recipe as close as possible and final proof for about an extra 10 minutes?

I often get a slight crack on one side of a sandwich pan loaf and while I’m thinking under proofing is probably the issue the crack is always on the same side! Too much of a coincidence to not suspect an uneven oven temperature. Does this happen to you?

When I do get a crack on one side, which is more often than not on a sandwich loaf pan bread, it always appears on the same side. Under proofing can be a cause but for it to appear in the same spot each time could it point to an uneven oven temperature? Typical of Liz’s bake. However the runaway oven spring above I think is under proofing together with the crust forming too quickly on top.

@anon44372566 @anon66425146 @anh
I thought of another thing when Abe mentioned crust forming on top:
I kinda heavily painted the tops of my loaves with oat milk, figuring this was the only steam they’d get. Perhaps that slowed the crust setting?

1 Like

I’ll have to pay more attention and now that I have the above photo, I’ll remember which side “broke”. I did rotate the pan at the 30 minute mark, total bake 48 minutes, I do see things browning faster toward the back of my oven but I don’t know if the side that broke was toward the back for the 30 or the 18 …

@Fermentada I gave my loaf a milk bath also :slight_smile:

1 Like

The oven spring is done within the first 20 minutes so if that is the cause then the crack will happen quite quickly. Keep notes and if you do notice a pattern then it’ll be something to look into. At least its not too bad and the bread slices very nicely!

Bon Appetit.

Thank you so much for all of the feedback.
It is probably the underproof. For some reason, in my past experience with other recipes, if my final proof (at room temp) is too long, I don’t get good oven spring.
I asked this question in the past and still haven’t found the solution to it, yet.
The next attempt, I will have the final proof longer.
Thanks again,
a