Twisted Spinach Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

This looks great and I can use my Khorasan high extraction I just received! 2 questions: how large in circumference should the rolled out circle be, and how much pepperoni or other cured meat can I add without having too much filling and making a mess? Thank you!

This looks delicious Melissa and I’m going to have to try this soon. I love the idea of the savory flavours in this instead of the usual sweet fillings that we see for these twisted breads.
Benny

@Jocabamba Perfect timing on the flour! Though don’t hesitate to use other flours if needed in the future.
I’d add one layer of meat slices e.g. pepperoni. More than than and you’d likely have a lot of grease to contend with.
You’re also going to need a sharp knife to make the radial cuts go through the meat.
The diameter of the dough circles was 10-12 inches.
Edited to add: The layer of spinach is about 1/2-3/4 inch thick and you will likely have leftover filling. This can get frozen for future use, added to an egg scramble/omelet, used as a pizza topping, saute’d/microwaved (to cook the egg) and eaten by itself… I’ll add this to the recipe along with the diameter info.

@Benito Thanks! You do a lot of inspiring savory flavors too. When I’m around extended family, these meal/appetizer breads are my favorite contribution to make to the big meals.

This bread looks really delicious!!
I just wish that there was a yeast option, instead of being forced to use sourdough starter, which I do not have!!!
It would also be nice if there was a whole grain option too!

Second paragraph:

1 Like

There is always an option to use yeast when following any sourdough recipe.

Take the flour and water from the starter/levain and put it back into total flour and water. Use about 7g dried yeast for every 500g of flour then watch the dough and not the clock.

Abe, thank you very much for explaining that, I’ll give it a try!

This recipe and many others on this site already have a yeast option. However you can convert any sourdough recipe.

You already got yeast conversion tips so as for whole grain:
Try hard red or white wheats for the easiest experience rolling out and twisting – although as I recently experienced with the emmer whole wheat pasta recipe, ancient grains can stretch out surprisingly sturdy also!
When mixing the dough, if it’s particularly stiff because of the extra thirstiness of most whole grain flours, add a little more water.

Hi Melissa, I love reading your newsletter and just realised that I’ve been subscribed to it since 2021. I love breads but apart from your Hokkaido Milk bread that I make often, I end up bookmarking and not trying most of your other recipes.
I live in India where we don’t have much access to different varieties of flour, and personally I prefer to use what’s locally available. Wholewheat flour available here is milled from hard white wheat, if I’m not mistaken, and we usually get either finer, smoother (with less bran, I’m assuming) varieties OR what we call “chakki atta”, which is the flour that is nuttier, and not as smooth, possibly because the bran etc is not sifted out. Our atta (wholewheat flour) makes for good rotis, or chapathis (Indian flatbread similar to tortillas—you are probably aware) but sandwich bread is whole other story. It works well for bread only when there is added gluten. Protein content in the Wholewheat flour that I use is 10.5% but there seem to be others that have a slightly higher protein content, including a “multigrain” variety which is 14.5%.
I’m keen to try this recipe, but was wondering what I could use instead of the khorasan high extraction flour. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Closest grain to khorasan would be durum.

1 Like

Hi Melissa! Not sure if my picture showed up, but I made this yesterday for my family and they loved it. Your recipes are amazing, but even better, your directions, videos and notes are absolutely the BEST! I will keep coming back to your recipes always. Thank you for all the time you have put into these recipes to help us fellow bakers!!! Blessings:) Janice

1 Like

I think any of the flours you described would work. If there is enough protein/gluten strength to roll out a flatbread, then the shaping of this bread will also work too. Combining bran and lower protein will be the most challenging but likely still not a problem.

That is so beautiful! Wow, you really made the shape extra lovely. I’m glad you found the recipe tasty and easy to follow.

I will be giving this a try next week.

1 Like

Thank you Melissa for sharing recipe. For the dough I used my sourdough pizza dough recipe that I developed. For marinara sauce I made from scratch using fresh roma tomatoes, fresh basil and fresh oregano, I used immersion blender and then simmered and allowed to reduce to max sauce thicker.

That sounds and looks great. I’m glad you used your favorite sauce.

1 Like

One of the ones I baked this morning.

That sesame seed covered center is going to be /must have been so tasty.

1 Like