Top crust falls off in parts of my sourdough pan loaf

I have made the Light Wheat Loaf from the Sourdough Cookbook for Beginners a few times. I use 300 grams of spelt flour and 220 grams of white flour. The loaf looks beautiful going into the oven, however when I cut it parts of the top crust seem to have air pockets and fall off. I lay the bread on its side to cool as the recipe suggests. I am frustrated as to what I am doing wrong. I follow the recipe exactly except for adding slightly more spelt flour. Has anyone else had this problem?

Any chance you’re using the convection setting on your oven? That has been known to cause “flying crust.”

That could not be the problem as I do not have a convection oven. The bread looks perfect going into and out of the oven. The top crust seems to have a space between the crust and bread in places and falls off when I cut the bread.

1 Like

The exact same thing happened to me with a 100% rye bread I recently made. I know for sure that I overproofed during the bulk fermentation (my fault for leaving it out overnight) so I wonder if that’s your problem too, either overproofing during the BF or the final proof.

That may be the problem. I usually like to do my first rise for seven to eight hours in my oven with the light on and a cup of hot water. That might be too much proofing. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try letting it proof less.

1 Like