Spread out when transferred to parchment paper

Any ideas , everything looked great today good rise up to transferring on to parchment paper then spread out!! is there something I can do to prevent this? Janet

If a dough has spread then it’s one of two things or both. Either the dough is too hydrated and/or the gluten hasn’t been developed properly.

Ok so I followed the Classic Artisan recipe to a tea, did the stretches and folds, looked good, then did the final proof in banneton basket for 2 hrs, still looked good until flipped onto parchment paper?? Anything else in regards to gluten development? Janet

If everything appeared good then perhaps I should have included a 4th option. Could it be over fermented?

The recipe plus a photo will help. You might also have to do some trial an error. Options…

1: add in some extra gluten development.
2: lower the hydration.
3: alter the ferment time.

Maybe final proof too long? although the probe test seemed good, should I lessening the time maybe?

Try that as your first tweak to see if you get better results. If not then cross it off the list and try another.

It’s still baking just took off the lid and looks like it has risen fairly well.ummmm we will see. Thanks for all your help and so quickly much appreciated!! Janet…I will try and may do extra gluten development and see plus your other ideas!!

1 Like

Best of luck, Janet. Will be curious to see the results. It’ll help to diagnose the problem. If it’s delicious then it’s a success either way imo.

1 Like