Split top on loaf

This has happened before, perhaps once or twice a year.

It has now happened twice in a row. Same breadmaker, flour, same everything

Anyone any ideas of what is causing this?

Seems like there’s a little under proofing so the bread has expanded more. Has the temperature in the kitchen dropped? Have you moved the bread maker to colder spot? Are you starting off with colder water?

No, all the same.

Could you explain ‘under proofing’ please?

When a dough is shaped it is left to rest for a 2nd proofing aka final proofing. The dough is left to rise to an optimal height that will help with the oven spring. If it rises too much then it will deflate. If it is left to rise to the correct amount it will rise just enough and not deflate. If it is under proofed it will have a “runaway” oven spring causing blowouts. This is why doughs are often scored to allow the dough to expand in a controlled manner. With a bread machine it’s all automated and the dough is not scored so it needs to be more exact when it comes to proofing.

Does the recipe recommend a water temperature?

No, there is nothing about that.

We just use whatever comes out of the tap! It must be well over a year since we had one like this. So, that’s over a hundred loaves that are more or less perfect and then we get two in a row like the above. Very puzzling!

As an experiment next time try warm water.

Thanks Abe, will give this a try

Just been thinking about the water. It’s quite cold at the moment and the cold water from the tap is extremely cold - quite nice to drink!

I’ve found this article about water temperature and breadmaking which looks quite interesting:

During cold spells we will make sure that we take the chill off the water.

We have been baking our own bread for years and there is always something new to learn

2 Likes

“Hear, Hear”! Always learning.

The third one in a row, and we used warmish water!

They are all from the same bag of flour, so it may be that there is something not quite right about it. We used the same yeast for our wholemeal bread and that was fine.

We used warmish water for the last wholemeal and that seemed to make a slightly larger loaf.

All the bread tastes OK and that is the main thing.

What brand of b read flour do you normally use and which brand of flour is this happening with? Let’s see what the difference is.

It’s from Lidl, as is 99% of the flour that we use:

So you’re always, or near enough always, using the same flour but this bag is producing these results. You haven’t switched flour.

What is the recipe? How much flour and water? And which bread machine do you have?

400g flour, 300g water, 20g butter, I tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, dove yeast.

We have a Panasonic YR2540 which is about a year old

Nothing has changed for a while

Ok
 While I can’t help you with the recipe itself (doesn’t seem to have anything wrong with it) i’m not familiar with the Panasonic YR2540. However, I am familiar with the Panasonic SD2500/2501 and the recipes the recipes that come with it. It’s a great machine and wonderful recipes to-boot. You can download the manual here.

A very similar white loaf but slightly different measurements

• 400g strong white flour
  • 280g water
  • 15g butter
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon yeast

And the setting for that is:

Now if you have a setting that is like this one then perhaps try the recipe.

P.s. I’m having a look at your machine with the recipes now and this loaf would be 280ml/g water! And the timings for menu 1 seem to be very similar.

Thanks Abe, I’ll give it a try.