Sourdough Stuffing?

I want to make sourdough stuffing for thanksgiving this year (I’m in the USA). I just pulled a loaf out of the oven to use. Does anyone have a favorite? Please share!

I think I’m going to use this recipe as my base

I’ll add walnuts and mushrooms too.
I’m drying out the bread today, using an all purpose loaf and all of my freezer stash (whole grain miche, red corn porridge bread).

Baking sheet on a rack underneath because I just vacuumed my oven and don’t want more crumbs.

1 Like

Oh thank you!

@juliehurd, I’ve only made homemade stuffing a couple of times over the years. When our kids were little they only wanted Stovetop. That “tradition” kind of stuck around, almost as a joke and a throw-back to their childhood all these years. Funny thing is, that’s what my daughter still does in her household! I hadn’t even thought about making my own stuffing out of my own bread, until you posted the thread which prompted our incredible @Fermentada to respond. Melissa, that stuffing recipe looks AMAZING! IF I can get some fresh herbs this week with my grocery order I may make a half recipe of the stuffing. I do have a freezer full of sliced bread too: plain sourdough, Russian Black Bread and sourdough cranberry-pecan! :upside_down_face: It’s just the two of us this year because of COVID-19. The usual 20+ pound fresh turkey we usually make for the whole family has been replaced by a 6.6 pound frozen turkey breast I purchased back in April and have kept in my freezer. I put the bird in my refrigerator last night before going to bed so it could start defrosting. It’s still rock solid! I suspect it may not defrost until Spring! :crazy_face:

Perhaps another cuppa coffee… :coffee:

Blessings,
Leah

Some of those traditions like Stovetop or Pepperidge Farm stuffing are pretty darn tasty. I’m jealous of your cranberry-pecan bread for stuffing; I’d put cranberries in my stuffing if I didn’t have one anti-berry kid.

We’re also having a smaller Thanksgiving than usual. I’m limiting myself to making two pies, which for five people is still quite a lot pie, but I will miss having four (or more lol) small slices of different pies.

2 Likes

@Fermentada We’re so used to the plethora of desserts and all-day long snacking items we are not doing this year since it’s just the two of us and not the kids and grandkids :frowning_face: I might make some low sodium dairy-free chocolate chip something – cookie bars or some brownies cuz Mama needs her chocolate or it’s simply NOT dessert. I found a decent recipe for a dairy-free lemon cake. And apparently I won’t be making anything pumpkin as forgot to order some canned pumpkin in my grocery order, thinking I still had some in my cabinet (I don’t). Not a huge deal as pumpkin anything is down on the list of hubby’s favs, even though I love it. Besides, I’ve rarely made a homemade pie in my life, pumpkin or otherwise! :laughing: It’s been so many decades I don’t even remember the last time I tried. If all plans fail, I’ve got some dairy free ice cream bars for the hubby in the freezer! This year the plans are not just scaled-back. They’re downright skinny! On the plus side, maybe I won’t put on the traditional 5 pounds I seem to gain every Thanksgiving. :upside_down_face:

Blessings,
Leah

Yep, no pumpkin pie here either as only 2 of us would eat it, and I’m not taking responsibility for 1/2 of a pie. Not with all the other pies I need to eat.

These cookies from the book Tartine No. 3 are amazing and you could drop the salt. The rye and a good quality chocolate are quite the combination :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: especially since you can mill your rye fresh.

Btw, you and @juliehurd probably already know better than me, but just in case:
Pre-cube your bread before drying it, unlike what I did. It was a grip-strength workout to break up all the toasted sourdough slices. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

@Fermentada Melissa, that cookie recipe looks amazing! I can use the plant butter to keep them dairy-free as I already have dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips. True, I’d have to nix the salt but this sure looks like a recipe to keep in my collection! BTW, this is just my opinion but I do prefer a better quality chocolate chip to the dairy-free kind. They’re decent enough but when you’re more accustomed to better quality chocolate they definitely come in second place.

Leah

1 Like

I did pre-dice :slightly_smiling_face: thanks!

1 Like

@juliehurd and @Fermentada I’m think of doing the same thing! I’ve got some plain sourdough, cranberry-pecan sourdough and some Black Russian rye bread. They’re sliced in the freezer so I plan on weighing out what I need, putting the slices into my toaster to “defrost” them and then finish cubing them up. In the Arizona desert lack of humidity I figure the resulting bread cubes will practically petrify. Yeah, out here we do “stale” one step further! Leave any baked goods out for long and they’re rendered dry as a bone! :laughing:

Leah

I pre-diced mine today too!

stuffing cubes Nov 2020)

Mostly plain sourdough with a smattering of Black Russian Rye and Cranberry-pecan sourdough. Tomorrow I’m hoping it’ll be stuffing! It’ll be a newer attempt for me. I haven’t made stuffing in decades! I remember making it once when the kids were little. They preferred Stovetop and I never made homemade stuffing again.

God bless you all. Happy Thanksgiving!

Leah

2 Likes

So, how did the sourdough stuffing turn out? How did it compare to Stove Top (my kid’s, now adult kid’s favorite)? I’m thinking of putting it on my calendar for next year.
Richard

@evnpar Oh, Richard! That was seriously the BEST stuffing EVER!

Simply the best! Any leftover stuffing reheats beautifully and is as tasty as can be. It’s a true winner.

Leah

3 Likes

Fantastic! I just put it on my calendar for next Thanksgiving, assuming I can wait that long.

1 Like

@evnpar I enjoyed that stuffing SO much I may not wait a whole year. I just may indulge any time the whim hits, provided I have enough bread in my freezer and plan accordingly to dry it out a day ahead. Hmmm, maybe to rethink this :crazy_face:

Leah

Easily the best stuffing I’ve made. I even snuck in the walnuts I wanted for umami but chopped them enough that the “why are there nuts in my mouth” crowd didn’t sense them :yum:

As for the recipe above, it’s a great base, but measurements kinda went out the window, with more stock and egg needed to hydrate crusty sourdough. Also no parsley to be had in the stores, so I used sage, tarragon, and rosemary.

The sour of the breads came through a bit, which was delicious imo.

4 Likes

@Fermentada Melissa, I couldn’t get fresh sage for my Thanksgiving stuffing so I just added some dried sage! I was able to get fresh rosemary and parsley though. I’d never had such wonderful stuffing. It was easily the best. We both loved it.

Leah

1 Like

Everyone’s looks soooooo good!

Mine was a hit. Even the people who say they don’t like stuffing really liked it.

I went with this recipe https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/sourdough-bread-stuffing-recipe-1944954

Doubled it but did not double the mushrooms as that would have been way too much and caused a texture issue for me.

2 Likes

There are people who say they don’t like stuffing? Inconceivable :smile:

Your stuffing looks great. I’m glad it was a hit.

2 Likes

Actually, I’m always using this recipe https://recipes.cafe/en/Getting-Ready-for-Thanksgiving-Our-Bread-Stuffing-Recipe . This Bread Stuffing is so simple but at this moment have amazing taste. I hope this recipe will be useful for you.

1 Like