Flour from leftover bread makes really delicious sourdough bread

I’m the only one in my house who eats my sourdough bread, so sometimes I don’t finish a loaf before it starts to stale. Life is too short to eat sourdough bread that is not really fresh. I saw this news item on flour made from leftover bread and decided to try it. It makes really delicious bread!
I slice some leftover bread, put it on a wire rack, and bake it at 250F in a convection oven for a few hours, then let it sit for another day or 2 to get very dry. Since I don’t own a mill, I put it through the fine grater disc of a food processor and then pulverize it with the food processor blade.
I substitute the pulverized bread for whole wheat flour in a 20% whole wheat recipe. Try it!

1 Like

This is similar to Altus. Toasting and soaking some old bread then mashing it before adding to a dough. Adds texture and flavour. This technique is traditional for a lot rye breads.

It is similar in that it uses old bread. I first learned about altus in Greenstein’s Secrets of a Jewish Baker. See also this link. Altus is not toasted, and it does not include the crust. I’ve tried it and have not been happy with the results. It does take less work to make altus than to make toasted and pulverized bread, though.

Good morning! Another delicious recipe for using dried sourdough bread is this awesome bread stuffing! Here’s the forum thread below.
Sourdough Stuffing? - Reader Recipes - Breadtopia Forum
The actual recipe link in the thread is here: Best Stuffing Recipe - Our Favorite Buttery Herb Stuffing (howsweeteats.com)
We’re empty-nesters and even though my husband loves my sourdough breads, he may only have a slice at breakfast. That means I’ve got lots and lots of sliced sourdough in my freezer. I’ve now been saving those small end pieces and those wonky slices I inevitably get when slicing bread in a bag in my freezer to dry out and use for this awesome stuffing.

Enjoy!
Blessings,
Leah