Sourdough Bubble-Top Brioche

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Yum. Thanks for another awesome recipe with great pics and instruction. This looks, dare I say, relatively easy. The end result is sure to impress, taste-wise and visually.

The organic bread flour you are linked to I assume is carried in a whole berry at Breadtopia? If so which one is it? If carried and ground by Breadtopia do they add anything to it?

@DennisM Dennis, here are the descriptions for both of the flours linked in the Sourdough Bubble-Top Brioche recipe. Both the bread flour and the all-purpose flour are already ground and sold by Breadtopia:

Organic All Purpose Flour

Available in 3, 10 and 50 lb bags

Milled from low protein hard red winter wheat. Excellent for cakes, biscuits, pancakes, quick breads, pie crusts, soft dinner rolls. Great for baguettes too.

Contains certified organic malted barley flour. Professional bakers find malted barley flour useful for providing uniform and improved fermentation and improving machinability and extensibility. Enzymatic digestion of starch increases fermentation, relaxes the dough, decreases proofing time, increases volume, enhances browning and softens the crumb. Malted barley is a natural humectant that helps extend product shelf life.

Specs :

• Protein: 10 – 10.5%
  • Ash: 0.56%
  • Certified Organic
  • Non-GMO
  • Unbleached and unbromated

Storage : We recommend keeping your flour in air tight packaging or container and storing in a cool place (65°F and 60% humidity is ideal). The flour will keep for 6 months to a year under these storage conditions.

Organic High Protein Bread Flour – 3, 10 and 50 lb bags

Our 100% certified organic bread flour is milled from clean, high quality hard red spring wheat for optimal baking performance. At 13.5% protein level, this flour is ideal for bread baking when you need an extra strong rise. Use alone or in combination with whole grain flour when you desire a more open crumb.

• Protein: 13.5%**
  • Ash: 0.60%

This is refined white flour that looks and feels like all purpose flour but is higher in protein by about 2-3%.

• Unbleached
  • Unbromated
  • Unenriched
  • Certified Organic
  • Non GMO
  • Kosher – Orthodox Union

Our grain is grown by family-owned and operated farms — certified organic farms that are committed to ideals of sustainable stewardship of our natural resources for those of future generations.

Leah

Somehow I missed the “Addition of organic malted powder” in the all purpose flour so my answer is they buy it that way, have to assume the equipment is way too expensive to use on a small scale.

The organic High Protein Bread Flour though they may grind I’ll have to wait for the answer.

I’d rather grind my own when I need it.

@DennisM Dennis, just a thought but you might want to send Eric an email and ask him your questions directly about his ground flours. That way you’ll know definitively the answers you’re looking for.

I do buy Breadtopia High Protein Bread Flour which I’ve been very happy with. Admittedly, I am able to locally purchase in a grocery store an organic all-purpose flour from Arrowhead Mills that does not contain malted barley powder/flour or any other added ingredients to it. That’s what I feed my sourdough, Cyril, and will use in recipes as needed.

I’ve also bought rye, hard white wheat, turkey red and/or red fife (as my mood strikes, LOL), all in whole berries that I grind in my Mockmill 100 from Breadtopia. I’ve been very pleased with the quality of all my purchases and may begin branching out by trying some other whole berries too.

All the best in your search,
Leah

@susanmcc99 Thank you :blush: Btw, I’m following your sifter thread, as i tend to make a mess too.

@DennisM Brioche can certainly be made with home-milled whole grain or sifted flour. I wanted a more traditional mostly refined flour brioche this time, especially as I was making my first foray into higher percentages of butter.

I second @Leah1 's suggestion to email @eric for more information on the bread flour. Thanks, @Leah1

1 Like

i’m always scared of all the work with brioche and butter folding. does this one work will with a food processor, like many dough (but not necessarily brioche) recipes do?

A stand mixer would work fine, but I haven’t tried a food processor.

You’ll want room temperature butter since your hands aren’t adding warmth, and like hand-mixing, work in half of the butter at a time.

Hi! I’m wondering about the sweet stiff starter. Is it left in the fridge for 6-12 hours? Or on the counter? I’m in Florida, so it’s kind of toasty here. Thanks for your help!

If you do the counter in warm house temps, aim for the lower end of the range…until webby. If you want to do overnight and sleep a reasonable amount of time, use cold starter and cold water in building the sweet stiff starter. Or try the refrigerator.

In the end an unripe vs very ripe starter will still raise the dough, just maybe with very different time windows than what I list for the rest of the recipe (bulk and final proof).

See this blog post for more on that :slight_smile:

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

I messed this bread up and it still was fantastic!! My starter was not in the best condition, admittedly, and so the dough did not rise. Not wanting to chuck the whole thing, I kept on with it. I was trying to adapt this recipe for chocolate babka. Well, the dough was so warm as was the filling. It was truly a melty mess. Baked it anyway. Glad I did!! I will try again with my starter in good shape. Thank you for a wonderful recipe. I loved the texture and how it retained enough moisture that it didn’t dry out overnight.

I baked the Sourdough Bubble-top Brioche yesterday, and it came out beautiful and tasty just like the pictures. But the dough seemed much wetter with butter when mixing and rising than the video and the pics. It was really sloppy. Any reason for this or should I ignore it

My dough was a sloppy batter during that hand kneading/churning but it did become manageable-ish.

Some things that could impact hydration-feel are your room temperature and that small % of whole grain wheat.

The brioche rolls came out wonderful but my wife commented that the taste was too sour for her. Any good recipes out there for brioche rolls as rich as the sourdough recipe but without using sourdough starter?

Making brioche with yeast should be a breeze after doing it with sourdough. I don’t have a recipe to recommend but maybe others will chime in. You can always use this recipe - just take the water, sugar and flour from the starter and put it into the general dough amounts. I imagine one packet of yeast will get you rising times between 1 and 2 hours, for the bulk and final proof each.

Looking forward to trying this. I like the Muffin pan idea too! Good for portion control!

Ha! True about the portion control. You’ll also use up a lot of energy rolling 36 dough balls : )

I made these for Easter dinner and they were a hit! I used the KitchenAide for mixing so my dough was easy to handle even with all that butter. I loved working the dough into petite balls for the muffin cups, very therapeutic right now. As for portion control, I keep pulling off a section just for another taste, they’re so good! Thank you for a fantastic recipe!