Scoring difficulty

Scoring the top of my loaves is frustrating. I’m still fairly green at this but I’ve done a ridiculous amount of research online so I think I have the basics down. So far I’m pretty pleased with the resulting loaves but the score is the final step that trips me up. It seems as though there’s a skin that is drier than the rest of the dough so applying enough pressure to get through the “skin” drags and pulls the surface and I fear deflating it. I thought my dough might be too wet so I keep cutting back on the water. My last loaf (earlier today) had quite a cutting back of water from the original recipe I’ve been using, but still… I proof it in the fridge for about 14 hrs in a banneton covered with a damp towel so is the basket allowing too much airflow? I’ve never seen anyone else ever complaining about that.

Practice, practice, practice!

Another option is to proof seam side down which will act as a natural scoring when turned out of the banneton. Won’t help with practicing but it has a nice affect with no scoring needed.

This article with videos might be helpful:

Is your resulting bread overproofed? Generally speaking, over-fermented dough is harder to score and does the deflation thing. But usually refrigeration makes it pretty easy to drag a blade through any dough :thinking: so maybe your dough skin is getting extra dry? It’s hard to say.

My refrigerated dough gets a fabric liner in the base of the basket (just my preference) and a shower cap type plastic cover over the top half of the basket (easy and reusable). It doesn’t develop all that much of a skin as you can see in the videos in the article above.

It looks like the picture here when I pop it into the refrigerator: