New Starter not Rising

I’ve started a new starter 15 days ago and it hasn’t risen since day 3. I’m feeding every evening 1:2:2 with half rye flour and half AP flour (both King Arthur) and keeping it in the oven with the light on. Everything I read says it will eventually rise but I haven’t seen evidence of that. The pic is from this morning. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stop feeding it. It has been quiet since day 3 and yet you have been feeding it for 12 more days without any further signs of maturation. If bubbling up is a sign that the yeasts are present, are strong enough and need more food then what are you feeding? Leave it for now and just stir. In the meantime have a read through this thread…

I’ll try that. Thanks!

How long should I wait? I haven’t seen any activity yet. At what point do I pull the plug?

Wait 3 or 4 days. Stir it well every 12 hours. If you notice it begins to get watery then add in some flour a teaspoon at a time to thicken it back up. Keep warm.

If you wish you can start another at the same time and see which one takes off first. In a small jar mix together 100g water + 100g wholegrain flour (preferably rye but wholegrain wheat is fine), keep in a warm place and do not feed again till you see a burst of activity. When you do get back to me.

Will try that. Thank you

1 Like

I made a new one with rye flour and it has already doubled. How should I proceed?

Please give me an update of what you have done so far…

Started

100g rye flour & water last night. Stirred this morning. Now it looks like this.

1 Like

Wait till tonight then feed 1:1:1. Quick off the mark this one.

Will do. Should I continue that from here on out? Any signs I should look for moving forward?

Rule of thumb…

If after 12 hours it has bubbled up then feed again.
If it doesn’t seem so active after 12 hours then wait till 24 hours then feed gain.

If it only bubbles a little then give smaller feeds… 1:1:1 or even 2:1:1
If it bubbles up a lot then increase the feeds… from 2:1:1 to 1:1: to 1:2:2

If it goes quiet (quite normal after 2 -3 days) then skip feeds till you see some activity and just stir instead.

To sum up… feed according to the needs of the starter.

You can always ask first.

This is helpful. Thank you!

Think of your starter like a pet. You put some food in your pets bowl and…

A: Your pet scoffs it down quickly so you give it larger feeds more often.
B: Your pet had half and it took all day so you top it up by half once a day.
C: Your pet didn’t touch it at all so the food can stay there till it gets eaten.

Once your pet is active, eats a good amount at the same time everyday then you know your pet is healthy [and ready to make bread].

1 Like

We’re on day 5 and from days 3-5 it’s had no action. I’ve stirred every 12 hours but have just left it in the warm oven. Keep doing what I’m doing?

What’s that dark brown spot/line on the glass? What does the starter smell like?

It’s where I stirred it and it’s up on the glass and dried there. It smells alcohol-y

So let’s try a small feed. How much starter roughly do you have in the glass/jar right now?

Maybe about 100g. Possibly more

So let’s try a modest feed of 2:1:1.

• 50g starter
  • 25g water
  • 25g flour (mix of bread or AP flour + wholegrain flour)

Take off about 50g starter (discard). Add in 25g water and mix thoroughly also cleaning down the sides as you don’t want any dried out old starter. Add in 25g flour mix and stir very well. Keep warm and leave alone for another day or two.