Kamut Golden Raisin Sourdough sandwich bread

My test run this week was making Kamut golden raisin sourdough sandwich bread. Loafs were to be square as they were going to be baked in Pullman pans. I coated Kamut flakes on the top by rolling top of shaped loafs first on damp towel then rolled top in pan with Kamut flakes. One thing that I learned was because the loafs were in Pullman pans some of topping went on to sides during final proofing and baking. I really like the taste of Kamut wheat. The golden raisins were good compliment with the Kamut sourdough sandwich bread. I have been asked by co-worker if I would be willing to design 100% whole-wheat sourdough bread recipe. I told my colleague that I would design a 100% Kamut Sourdough Sandwich bread which will use 100% hydration sourdough Levain for them. I have completed the initial design on spreadsheet and after verification of calculations, I am now ready to test next week.

3 Likes

This looks delish!

1 Like

A friend of mine makes a lovely bread similar to this out of durum and bread flour. It has golden raisins, fennel seeds and pine nuts. One of my favourite recipes.

Kamut is related to durum and you’ve got the golden raisins. You’re half way there. Recipe available if you’re interested.

Very nice bake.

Abe, Fennel would give slight liquorice taste. I wouldn’t have thought about pine nuts. I have used fennel in bread before and I did like taste. I wouldn’t mind trying that recipe you mentioned. I think the taste would be interesting.

I love the fennel seeds. Toasts up a treat. Here is my take on it where i’ve given the overall formula and you can play around with how much you choose to pre-ferment. Just keep the overall formula and follow your instincts with the rest. I never do it exactly the same way twice. Got the recipe in my head and go mostly by feel. Always turns out very nice.

If you wish to compare here is his original take. I’m sure between them both you’ll come up with something delicious. Allow the bulk ferment to double. Makes for a better crumb when using durum flour.

1 Like

Abe, thank you for sharing the links. I like to have Levain % of at least 25% to 30% of the final dough. So if final dough flour amount is 1,000 g then Levain amount in final dough would be 250 g to 300 g. I also like to do overnight fermentation in refrigerator of final shaped dough. I find the longer fermentation times make much better tasting sourdough breads and yeasted pre-fermentation breads. I also ensure by dough has approximately doubled prior to dividing and shaping.

1 Like

My pleasure, Bob. Sounds like you have a good plan. It really is very forgiving with such a lovely combo of flavours. My friend also pre-ferments a high percentage and then does a lot of the ferment in the fridge. My plan is always formed around my day taking work into account if on a weekday. Hope you enjoy it. I’m sure you will. Toasted and topped with a nice hard cheese or nut butter or dipping it into a good quality EVOO or Pumpkin Seed Oil is delicious.