Semolina Raisin, Pine Nut & Fennel Sourdough

There are a few recipes of this bread all a variation on a theme. My friend made it for me when I was visiting him in Ft Lauderdale and it’s been a firm favourite of mine ever since. Such a lovely combination. Here’s the formula that has become standard for my bake…

Overall Formula:

• Rimacinata (or fine semolina) Flour 60%
  • Bread Flour 40%
  • Water 68%
  • Salt 2%
  • Raisins 20%
  • Toasted Pine Nuts 14%
  • Whole Fennel Seeds 2%
  • Olive Oil 2%

This Loaf:

• Rimacinata Flour 240g
  • Bread Flour 160g
  • Water 272g
  • Salt 8g
  • Raisins 80g
  • Toasted Pine Nuts 56g
  • Whole Fennel Seeds 8g
  • Olive Oil 8g

Now a word about the pre-ferment… My friend uses quite a high percentage levain taken from the total flour and water. For myself the overall formula doesn’t change but the preferment often does. Depending on time and schedule this will vary. As long as you keep the overall formula and give the dough however much time it needs then it’ll work out just fine. For this bake…

Final Recipe:

• Rimacinata Flour 240g
  • Bread Flour 120g
  • Water 222g
  • Salt 8g
  • Raisins 80g
  • Toasted Pine Nuts 56g
  • Whole Fennel Seeds 8g
  • Olive Oil 8g
  • Levain 90g @ 125% hydration (50g water + 40g bread flour)

Method:

1. Fermentalyse the levain, water and flour for 30-60 minutes.
  2. Add the salt and olive oil; combine and knead till medium gluten formation.
  3. Rest for 20 - 30 minutes.
  4. Add the raisins, toasted pine nuts and whole fennel seeds; fold into the dough.
  5. Bulk Ferment till risen and puffy giving the dough a stretch and fold periodically.
  6. Shape.
  7. Final Proof till ready.
  8. Bake.

Very flavoursome indeed! Toasts up a treat.

2 Likes

That sounds like a tasty combination, Abe. I just received my first order of Rimacinata flour and have everything else other than pine nuts. I’ll pick some up and bake give it a try in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the recipe.
Richard

1 Like

Thank you Richard. You won’t be disappointed. This is a perfect combination. Rimacinata is a lovely flour but will handle differently. As this recipe is 60:40 Rimacinata to Bread flour it should feel somewhat closer to a more regular dough. Durum is a sweet grain and doesn’t bring out any tang so the bread flour will also give it a little more sourdough appeal. All these textures and flavours really work well together especially when toasted. Another bread which has been on my baking repertoire ever since I first tasted it. If you do a search you’ll see a few recipes on this theme.

Very nice loaf Abe, that sounds like an Alan loaf to me but I could be wrong :wink:.

1 Like

Thank you Benny. And you are of course correct :slight_smile:

That looks really good Abe. Unfortunately, my wife dislikes raisins so rules it out.

1 Like

Thank you Keith. I believe dried cranberries will work just as well. Or you can just miss them out. Toasted pine nuts and fennel seeds will be just as delicious.

I’ve tried several of Abe’s recommendations, and they have all been excellent, and this one is no exception. This was my first experience with Rimacinata, and it is a fun flour to use. This is a very tasty bread, and one that I’ll enjoy baking again. Thank’s, Abe.

2 Likes

Perfect! Everything from crumb and to distribution of all the add-ins. Good rise for a 60% rimacinata flour too. A very flavourful bread and glad you like it Richard.

Beautiful loaf Richard, I’m sure it was a very tasty loaf indeed. Between the inclusions and the semolina it would be delicious. Now that you’ve tried Semola Rimacinata I’m sure you’ll think up other breads to bake with it, I really enjoy baking with that flour.
Benny

Thanks Abe and Benny. I really enjoyed using this flour and look forward to using it again.
Richard

That looks SO inviting!!

Blessings,
Leah