Japanese Milk Bread (Yeast Version)

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

I’ve never tried Japanese milk bread (although have done many breads which included a tangzhong) but every time I see a recipe it always looks so inviting. Is there a sourdough version? I’m assuming there is with this one called the yeast version.

Yes, the sourdough version is here. Definitely worth the longer process if you’ve got the time.

I will definitely make this. What I love about the way this recipe is written, is the detail and options you list. The various shape/pan options and their respective bake times. Most recipes are for a specific shape/pan and often not my first choice. I wish every recipe was written like this. My compliments to the author!

Hi, Melissa.

Thank You for posting this recipe. I’ve been curious about the Japanese Milk bread for some time, and have a question for you: What would happen if used reconstituted buttermilk in place of the milk in the recipe? I realize the flavor might be a bit tangier, but would it even be possible to make the Tangzhong with it?

@jwilliams35 I’m glad you like the details and options in the recipe. I tend to bake the recipes so many times and in so many ways, I figure why not share the info (though I do sometimes worry about word-clutter).

@Elizabeth_Levy I don’t know how buttermilk would perform for the tangzhong or the final dough, but I can’t imagine it would be a problem, so I’d certainly try it. I have to admit to being one of those people who adds vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk every time a recipe calls for buttermilk :speak_no_evil: so I’m not all that well-versed in using it. I’ve used whey and kefir milk in various breads.

1 Like

Thank You for your kind reply, Melissa.

Are you able to use this method to make a whole grain bread?

You’re welcome @Elizabeth_Levy

@philfoursix Absolutely! You’ll need more liquid because of how much more whole grain flour absorbs. You might work off this recipe, and simply add the tangzhong to it and use yeast instead of the starter (if you’re using yeast).
Or just use it as a point of reference for hydration – and go a bit higher, as I kept this dough dryer for ease of rolling out.

1 Like

Thank you so much Melissa for your concise recipe, as new “Covid-come-lately” bread baker I really appreciate your detailed instructions. I baked my first yeasted loaf around May 1, made a sourdough starter May 6 (pineapple juice method) and haven’t looked back. Breadtopia has been a constant source of inspiration and help, such a terrific community of bread enthusiasts…I cannot thank thank all of you enough.

2 Likes

This is similar to my recipe - but yours uses more butter so I’m definitly trying yours next!

One tip: Sub 150 ml (the 5 oz can) evaporated milk for the regular milk in the dough. It provides a richness and depth of flavor that’s out of this world for this bread. I could easily devour half a loaf at one sitting if I let myself.

I’ll try the evaporated milk–sounds good. I completely agree about being able to eat the entire loaf! Oh wait, you said half. :joy:

I read something about using milk powder in replacement for the whole milk in this recipe. But I’m confused on how… do you reconstitute the milk powder or add it to the dry ingredients and use water as your liquid?

I’ve always seen it added as a dry ingredient.

I printed off this recipe months ago, because it looked like a bread I would like to try. Well, I finally got around to making it and I must say this is an amazing bread. It is super soft and delicious, it slices easily, thick or thin, and it makes great toast as well. The only change I will make the next time I make it, will be to make 2 loaves in normal loaf pans versus one large loaf in the Pullman pan. I believe this is my new sandwich bread recipe and I will also try it for buns because I’m sure they will be the softest buns ever! Thank you so much for this recipe!

You’re welcome! It’s a favorite in my house too.

I make many different breads but this is my family’s favorite bar none. One of them even begs me to make it. This yeast version is super easy, and my favorite part is shaping the balls to put in the bread tin, because there’s something about the texture that makes it so pleasing to work with! I’m going to have to start making the sourdough version though, because even though this is healthier than store-bought, it’s still not very nutritious.

My family loves it as well. I put it somewhere between a whole grain flour-water-salt sourdough bread and a cake in my fuzzy nutrition estimates. :slight_smile:

I made this today. It was straight forward, fun and delicious. Turns out my bread had a good side and bad side. It was a little worrying in that the bad side was the only side I was watching when it baked. This is a hit with my whole family. Thanks for another great recipe.

Nice looking bread–both sides :slight_smile:

1 Like