Japanese Milk Bread (Yeast Version)

Hands down, our favorite bun recipe! I keep a regular stash of both hot dog and hamburger buns in the freezer, and these hold up when defrosted. This recipe feels a little more involved, but well worth it. I, and our family, are so happy that Melissa recommended JMB for buns, and I can ditch the old recipe I used for years that caused frustration for not better results. I’m finding the longer proof times listed show good results. Also, both my buddy and I cut back on the sugar, and used half what calls in the recipe. We think it’s plenty sweet like that.

I’m glad you enjoy the recipe, and what a good idea to keep a stash of frozen JMB hamburger and hot dog buns. (I have Fat Tire beer brats to grill today and no buns. I won’t buy 'em and it’s kinda too late to make them lol.)

@Fermentada Melissa, you had me at

Yum!!

We don’t have any brats in the house BUT we’re going to smoke a chicken, corn on the cob and a fresh vegetable medley. All the food goes into the smoker! I do all the prep and even developed my own BBQ dry rub for the chickens. Once I’m done with the prep my hubby takes care of the smoker, including the cleaning of it! :us:

Blessings to you and yours,
Leah

That sounds like a fantastic meal. I bet your BBQ rub is amazing. Enjoy!

My sides were going to be roasted broccoli and brussels, but it looks like our freakishly cold and rainy weather has made our garden greens go wild: so snap peas and kale it is :slight_smile:

(Oh and churros… I’m making churros for the first time ever. Similar dough to choux pastry, which I’ve made. And I’ve been craving good churros since I was last in Spain in the 1990s!)

@Fermentada Oh my, churros!!! Crispy tender cinnamon sugar goodness! My mouth is watering already. I don’t have any veggies growing…yet. My incredible husband has built three areas for me to grow veggies and ornamentals in the backyard area. But now that we’re in our very long “summer” time here in the desert southwest this is most definitely not our growing season! From approximately mid-May through end of September it’s simply too hot to plant and grow. But I will definitely look towards planting in October. Our “winter” is fairly mild and rarely, if ever, gets a hard freeze so I’m hoping for my own veggies later this year.

Blessings,
Leah

That’s so neat how different your growing season is. I made about 10 comical churros before my pastry bag burst and I switched to baked profiteroles. No regrets though :joy: all tasted great.

Whipped cream in the profiteroles, and with the other half of the heavy cream, I made a dark chocolate-and-cinnamon dipping sauce.

1 Like

@Fermentada What I want to know is HOW do you eat these indulgent items and NOT gain weight? I’ve gained 8 pounds since February! Can I say “Oy Vey” now?

Blessings,
Leah

Lockdown has been hard in so many ways. Eight pounds sounds like very little compared with what many have experienced, up 29 lbs the average given in this article:

I was lucky to have both cardio and weight classes that I was already familiar with move quickly to a Zoom format during Covid. Seeing friends, keeping up muscle mass, and releasing good brain chemicals are all so important.

@Fermentada I guess I shouldn’t complain about the 8 pounds! :upside_down_face:

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

I think you got I meant freezer. I did edit that. I’m the same way, I won’t buy them lol. Yeah, I don’t like to be caught without a regular stash of hamburger and hot dog buns. Served fresh ones last night for Memorial day with a variety of meatless links, and the bun is the star :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bet! What a difference from bun as an edible napkin or smoked meat saltiness diffuser.

Thinking of making this into one loaf and one half for cinnamon rolls… any tips on the cinnamon roll part?

Sounds tasty! Are you looking for cinnamon roll filling recipe tips? Bake time?

Would ½ of this recipe be enough for a traditional cinnamon roll? I have some other cinnamon roll recipes, but wanted to use this dough instead.

I usually make cinnamon rolls in a 9x13-inch pan for 12 rolls. That needs about 500g flour in my experience. Like in this recipe:

If you use half the Japanese milk bread recipe, you maybe want to use a round 9-inch cake pan and make 7-8 rolls.

Scroll thru this recipe to see a pic of the round pan cinnamon rolls.

thanks!

Can this bread be shaped in an oval banneton?

Yes, I think this would be fine. It is similar to a challah dough. You could also braid it and bake it freestanding.

Last week I multiplied this recipe by 1.5, and the dough just barely fit in my 7-quart mixer.

This made eight huge rolls and a braid. The doorbell rang midbraid and I didn’t get my groove back when I returned to the dough. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it :joy:

I used avocado oil instead of butter.
The tangzhong was whole wheat rouge de bordeaux flour and milk.
This was mixed into a dough with 900g bread flour and 45g RdB.
I reduced the scaled-up sugar from 150g to 120g.

The dough took 1 hour to more than double in the bucket (pic below).

1 Like

Gorgeous Melissa, I totally get being thrown off mid braid, I probably wouldn’t have answered the door or telephone until I was done :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: