Japanese Milk Bread Débâcle

A disaster that taste good!

Bread to stiffen overnight Stiff Sweet Levain fermented at 76-78°F
Tangzhong…Ya Right what does all that mean. It’s a puzzle. You need to read carefully to solve it.

Whole Wheat Sourdough Hokkaido Milk Bread

I embarked on baking the Whole Wheat Sourdough Hokkaido Milk Bread late Sunday afternoon. A typical trying to do five things at the same time and none of them well.

I can’t leave well enough alone. I decided to use heirloom rouge de Bordeaux flower for the Levian and Kamut flower for the Tangzhon and the bulk of the bread. Why? I had made the Kamut bread and I liked it very much. So I thought I’d give it a try. Yes this is for the very first time I’ve made this recipe

Everything was going swimmingly through Monday night. The dough felt great as I was rolling it out and forming the cylinders. Nice and pump. It was late at night when I put it in the proofing oven. I set the oven for six hours and 30 minutes at 85°. I slept in and approached the dough at 9:30 AM.

It looked like it rose well above the rim of the bread pan, but at some point, it decided to squat. It never recovered and it was baked in the squat. A flat top loaf all the way. Cooked to the correct temp but negligible rise.

I put in the black sesame seed as suggested by Eric. I also added raisins. Oh the horror! Every baker in Japan was cursing my loaf. I blame this negative karma on the raisins :cowboy_hat_face:

I thought this loaf was going to be a chuck-it-special, I proceeded undaunted and cut the loaf. I got the biggest baking surprise of my life.

The bread tasted magnificent. This recipe is a lot of work and it sucks to go the distance and have a poor result. Try Kamut flour and go the distance, it’s good no matter the appearance.

1 Like

I’m glad you liked the flavor despite the disappointments. It sure looks and sounds like it over fermented. A much shorter final proof would fix this. If you need to leave this overnight, I would probably cold retard the dough not yet shaped. Then in the morning shape it and do the final proof. I hope you do try it again.
Benny

Yo Benny, Thanks for reading and the advice. I plan to try again soon. It looks too good