Giving Away Three Copies of Dan Leader's New Book: LIVING BREAD

In 1983 Daniel Leader moved his family from NYC to the Catskill Mountains to bake organic breads on the hearth of a wood-fired brick oven. Thus was born the iconic Bread Alone Bakery. A chef by training, Dan learned to bake naturally-fermented, artisan breads touring bakeries in Paris. Dan is truly one of the pioneers of the artisan bread movement in America and is an author and baker who has inspired me for many years.

So I was really stoked when Dan and his publicist at Avery / Random House reached out to Breadtopia to help spread the word on the launch of his newest book, Living Bread: Tradition and Innovation in Artisan Bread Making.

They sent us an advance copy of the book a couple weeks ago and it’s an amazing celebration of bread. It’s essentially a tour of the cutting edge in grain farming, milling, and artisan bread baking in Europe and the U.S. today, illustrated with dazzlingly rich photography and the deep insight into craft that only a master bread baker could bring to it; all wrapped around 60+ extremely unique recipes that Dan compiled along the way.

In addition to letting us read the book early (thank you!), Avery also supplied us with three copies to give away to our readers (see below), and Dan also kindly offered us a show-stopping black baguette recipe from the book to share with you all:

Dan will be joining me for a live video conversation about Living Bread and the state of craft bread baking this Sunday, October 6 at 2pm CDT in our Instagram Live Video channel. I hope you will join us.

Contest Details - How to Enter

Leave a comment of any kind in this thread below. It’s just a simple way for us to tally the entrants and contact the winner. Only one entry per person will be counted. If you are not already an active Breadtopian with an account here, leaving a comment involves a simple registration process where you give us your email address (if you do already have an account here, make sure we have your correct email address). Your contact details will be private and never shared, sold or otherwise abused by us (though you will receive an occasional email when we put a new post up on the site and make giveaway announcements like this one – you can unsubscribe from that list anytime if you prefer not to receive them). If you have already participated in a previous giveaway, you should already be registered to comment, making things all the easier. Contest Details: The contest will close to new entrants at midnight CDT on Saturday, October 5th. We’ll select three winners at random and I’ll announce the winners during my Instagram Live Video conversation with Dan on Sunday October 6 at 2pm CDT.

That’s it! Simple, easy, no strings attached.
Good Luck!

UPDATE

Our three winners:
@KeithG2965
@jaedwards
@mrw2day

Congratulations!

44 Likes

I am an avid breadmaker…all types, and make bread weekly. Would really like to have a copy of Dan’s Book to expand my breadmaking.

Thanks

Very interested in Dan’s new book ‘Living Bread’ as a gift. My friend is currently on a tour in Finland learning about rye flour and rye baking. I’m sure he would be equally fascinated by this book. Recently started milling his own grains and bakes several times a week.

So excited about this book. His first book was one of my first.

Need a book to learn more about bread making.

I am a total newby to bread baking. We do have a wood fired pizza oven and I would love to know how to bake delicious bread using it. This book looks amazing

Both the book and the author sound fascinating. I would love a copy to enhance my bread making skills.

I learn something from every sourdough source that I read.

This sounds like an interesting book.

Enjoying the website. Hope to win the book. Thank you.

Making bread is such a pleasure. I would love to have a copy of this book! Dan Leader is such a talented baker and teacher!

New original recipes are always welcome. Thank you for making bread baking exciting and rewarding.

I have, and love, Dan’s book Local Breads. He’s a wonderful teacher! Looking forward to this one.

I would Love to add this book to my bread book collection. Always fun to learn and try new techniques and recipes
Thank you

I would love to have LIVING BREAD without spending any dough.

1 Like

A Dakota style sourdough with variations on the seed mixture is my current favorite bread.

Sounds great–thanks!

I work from home and love to bake bread during the course of the day - only needing a few minutes here and there. I would love to add Dan Leader’s book to my collection.

Bread Alone was first baking book I bought many, many years ago

This has been one of my favorite sites since I joined many years ago. As a young girl some 60 years ago I was so fascinated with the Old West and the trail cooks who slept with their sourdough starter to keep it warm. As a young girl some 60 years ago I became fascinated with sourdough and over the years learned to make my own sourdough starter and bought and tried many others. Preferred my own. When I found your site and your articles, I knew it was a match made in heaven. I was right. Thanks for all your hard work, research and testing. Look forward to all your information and really have so much fun trying as many as I can. Thanks.