Given up on making bread using dough starter for now but had a question

I gave up making bread using dough starter as had multiple failures.

Plan on making a bread using yeast, and in addition to baking a loaf of bread use some of the dough to make pizza.

Here is the recipe I am going to follow:
3 Cups of Good Bread Flour
1/4 Tsp Bread Machine Yeast: http://amzn.to/2BUh8hq​
1 Tsp Salt (to Taste adjust as kneaded :slight_smile:
12/13 oz of water
link to the youtube video:
https://youtu.be/p8ydC1Of_Zw

Two questions:

1. Can all purpose flour be used as a substitute for bread flour by adding additional yeast? If so how much extra yeast is needed?
  2. Can Red Star compressed active dry yeast be substituted for bread machine yeast? What are the ratios to use for this substitution?
    Thank you for your help.

Altering the yeast does not make up for the different flours. What you might find is different flours work better with different hydration so if anything should be altered it’ll be the water.

The recipe says 3 cups of bread flour and 12/13 Oz of water. If using AP then start with 12 and only add extra if needed.

1 Like

@mbt81 Good morning! Very thankfully there is more than one way to make bread! I don’t know anything about compressed yeast. I’ve heard of it but have never used it. I have used both Fleischman’s and Red Star dry active yeast, bread machine yeast and most recently the SAF Instant yeast I’ve purchased here on Breadtopia. Of all the commercial yeasts I’ve used, I must admit that the SAF Instant yeast is positively the best one I’ve had personal experience with. Below I’ve found 2 links that may be helpful for you. One is the Breadtopia No Knead Bread recipe and instructions using commercial yeast. The other link has helpful tips and substitutions that I know have proven very helpful for many bakers during this COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent grocery shortages.

Sourdough can be a tricky little bugger. Those wee beasties can be persnickety. Have fun experimenting with different flours and techniques using commercial yeast. You’ll be able to make wonderfully tasty and nutritious homemade bread with either method of rising dough, whether commercial yeast or sourdough. Some days I bake artisan sourdough loaves. Other days I just know I want bread with a bit less “fuss.” That’s when my Bread Machine and instant yeast come in handy and to the rescue. Both give me just what I need – delicious bread! Enjoy your bread journey, whichever method you choose. Breadtopians are as unique as the breads they bake and that’s a wonderful thing!

No Knead Bread | Breadtopia

Bread Baking and Flour Substitution Tips | Breadtopia

Baking blessings,
Leah

1 Like

Vital Wheat Gluten can be added to all purpose flour to bring the protein/gluten level up to bread flour’s level. You have to know the protein level of your AP flour and have a target level in mind e.g. 13.5% like Breadtopia’s bread flour, and use a formula like the one in this panettone recipe.

Actually I think this is explained in the article @Leah1 linked you too :slight_smile:

And as @Abe said, making a change to the AP flour isn’t necessary to make the recipe work – just lower the water amount a little since AP flour is less absorbent than bread flour.

2 Likes