Dough does not rise!

I followed a recipe in the following instructions below.

In the first instruction to cover dough for 20 min for rising, mine looked just like the video; however, in all subsequent instructions that said to cover and wait 1 hour, 15 min, and 50 min respectively my dough does not rise in each case. May be risen just a little bit in the 50 min wait. Upon baking it for 20 min, it did rise a little bit. I did do window pane test before the first 1 hour covering. Kneaded about 14 min.

What can be the cause of bread not rising like the way it expands in the video after each covering?

The instructions in summary:
1 egg, 3 tbsp condensed milk

1 tsp yeast (3g), 140 ml milk → stir

2 cups or 300 g bread or wheat flour → mix

.5 tsp or 3 g salt

→ knead then cover for 20 min for rising

2 tbsp or 28 g unsalted butter

→ knead

Cover for 1 hour for rising

Divide into 6 parts and knead into round balls

Cover for 15 min rising

Roll into rectangle then roll into long cigar like shape

Put 6 cigars into loaf pan

Cover for 50 min for rising

Egg wash

Bake 340F for 20 min

First things first test the yeast.

Dissolve a little sugar in some warm water. Add a teaspoon of yeast and stir. Wait for 10 minutes and report back preferably with a photo.

Secondly, what type of yeast does the recipe call for and which type of yeast are you using?

Do you have a link to the recipe?

[type or paste code here](https://youtu.be/eKxQS8_yAHU?si=2IdOAAJWsOfj57Ob)

The recipe is in the video link. Finally learned how to embed video link. Tried doing it the first time and couldn’t include the video and post.

If you just copy the url - https://youtu.be/eKxQS8_yAHU?si=2IdOAAJWsOfj57Ob - into the comment box the video comes up.

Have you tested your yeast yet? And which kind of yeast are you using?

It actually says rise for “about” one hour. Or more importantly however long until it has risen like in the video.

No talking in the video, so it just says 20 min for the first riding, then about 1 hour for the second rising. After 1 hour I didn’t see any expansion at all so I just started kneading.

I just found out that my wife used Instant Yeast. Video didn’t say what kind of yeast, but in reading a google search about yeast…if instant yeast is used, then can skip the first rising in any instruction. Perhaps, the lady in the video used Active Dry Yeast since she used a 20 min riding before serious kneading. Lesson learned.

Here are the photo the experiment you suggested.

Thanks for guiding me,
Simon

Hi Simon,

In all bread recipes you need to watch the dough and not the clock. The 1 hour is a guide. What you are looking for is a rise in the dough even if that takes longer for you.

So far I see no activity from your yeast. Is the bottom photo 10 minutes later?

If instant is used you can skip yeast activation. Not the first rising.

Yes. It was opened from a sealed packet of instant yeast - 1 tspn sugar and 1 tspn yeast. At least 10 min later. I agree that there is no response from the yeast. I heated water in microwave for 1 min before adding sugar into it.

Thanks. I will remember to let it rise for as long as it takes next time.

Does it matter if active dry yeast or instant yeast is used if instruction doesn’t mention the type of yeast?

Seems like if instruction mentions 20 min covering without a good full kneading, then better to use active dry yeast? If only instant yeast is available, then skip the 20 min covering and just knead until full kneading then do the 1 hour or longe covering?

Last week we followed a different recipe which called for setting aside a yeast mixture for 10 min. In that case, we did see bubbles in the yeast mixture.

That interesting. New packet of yeast yet there doesn’t seem to be any activity. I wonder how hot the water was after one minute in the microwave.

Can you try again with just tap water? Try heating it for 30 seconds only. Mix in the sugar. Make sure you can dip your finger in and it’s just warm to the touch. Then stir in the yeast.

This is what we should be seeing…

P.s. that dough rest at the beginning was just for the dough to form and absorb the water properly before adding in the butter. Also be very careful heating water up in the microwave if you do this often. I would recommend a kettle and just mix 50:50 hot and cold water.

• 65g boiled water
  • 65g cold tap water
  • 1 tsp sugar

Mix until sugar has dissolved.

Add in 1tsp yeast and stir well.

The first picture on top is after 15 min. The rest of two pictures at the bottom are after 10 min. Looks like, with instant yeast, one always has to follow instructions on the packet before just using it like in video. I had heated milk to 1 minute when making the bread. Looks like it is good to have a good thermometer.

Ok… I see a little bloom from the yeast although nothing spectacular.

Let’s test it some more. Add in enough flour to make a dough ball. Knead it for a few minutes and place in a slightly larger glass. See if it rises. Give it up to an hour.

It could be this yeast is not the best but might have still worked if left long enough.

P.s. if you don’t have a thermometer warm to the touch is fine. If it’s comfortable for you the yeast should be ok.

It expanded, just like when I was following the instruction for the first covering; however, it is the full kneading after the first rising that it no longer expands.

Google says that for instant yeast, one should skip the first rising if there are to be two risings in a bakery instructions.

Do you have any recommendation for the yeast brand you prefer?

If it has risen then your yeast is fine.

I’m not sure what you’re reading about skipping the first rising. The recipe, and its instructions, look sound to me. Doesn’t seem to be any unnecessary steps to be skipped. When adding butter to dough it is often done this way.

Butter, or any fat, in a dough will make the dough take longer to rise. Yours might have been slower because it was colder. I would suggest you don’t take too much notice of the clock and rather wait however long it takes!

I live in the UK and use sourdough more than dried yeast. The yeast I occasionally use would not be available in the US. However i’d suggest you get some instant yeast or rapid rise yeast. Doesn’t need to be activated and can be used exactly like the recipe. How about Fleischmann’s Rapid Rise Yeast? That’s a popular one. If you can only find Active Dry then not to worry as we’ll adapt the recipe very slightly to add in an activation step.

Is the yeast you have now Active Dry or Instant/Rapid Rise?

If you wish to try the recipe again i’d probably do as follows…

1: Warm the 140ml milk.
2: Add the sweetened condensed milk and mix.
3: Add the dried yeast and stir.
4: Cover and leave for 10 minutes until you see bubbles appearing.
5: Add the rest of the ingredients and form the dough.
6: Carry on exactly like the recipe only moving onto the next stage once you see the dough has developed and risen like in the recipe. Do every step but watch the dough! and don’t be tied down to the clock.

P.s. This would be a good method for active dry yeast.