Dough Breaking

Hello,

I have put together my 4th batch of sourdough today, and have had my dough tearing yet.
I had fantastic success last week with the same procedure I used today, though I did change the flour and ratios a bit.

I did two sets of stretch and folds after incorporating the starter and salt. Then I did some bench kneading into a nice dough ball. Though it did not look as smooth as it did last time. Then I did a couple more rounds of stretch and folds, bulk fermented for 5 1/2 hours at around 78 degrees.

The dough did not seem to be rising a whole lot, but was bubbly. I tried to do a coil fold to get it out of the bowl gently, but it was super sticky, liquidy, and it was actually breaking. Heartbreaking…

After my best attempt at preshaping, I came back and the dough was spreading and breaking just sitting there! Wondering now if it got way over fermented??? No idea…

Thank you!

Sounds like all the signs of over fermented. What was the recipe, method and timing? How warm is it? More details the better.

Was your starter past ripe? This thread and the blog post it links to explain how starter can become protein-eating.

1 Like

The dough formula was a bit complicated, but so was the last one I used.

350 g Bolted Red Fife
300 g Select Bread Flour
250 g Whole Grain Red Fife
100 g Whole Rye
730 g Water
130 g Starter
25 g Salt

It was different water, I used well water (possibly treated?) this time instead of Berkey filtered water.

I was a little worried about the starter, I baked with it last Saturday, and didn’t think I should have put it in the fridge, so I just kept feeding it and left it out. It was not doubling very quickly, and it did smell pretty sour.

I was taking 10-15 g out and feeding with a
1:5:5 ratio. It was not behaving the way it did the last batch. I really think it really makes sense that it was eating the gluten. Thank you so much for the replies.

I put the starter in the fridge for now, is it bad? Shall I start a new one?

Thanks again!!

Agree with everything what @Fermentada has said and now I’ve seen your recipe plus method I’m convinced this is the case. Always use a small amount of starter with a longer ferment or a levain. Using a large amount of over fermented starter will cause all the problems you experienced.

As for starter maintenance I build up about 100g with a good feed. When active and doubled it gets stored in the fridge from which i take a little off each time to build a levain. When my starter runs low i take it out, feed it, allow it to activate and double then back in the fridge it goes.

Should I skip the levain stage and just use starter it’ll be a few grams in a big dough then fermented for an extended period of time until ready. Otherwise I do a pre-ferment building up a larger amount of fresh starter for a shorter bulk ferment of the final dough.

Rule of thumb… A freshly fed and mature starter is fine. After all it’s practically the same difference as a levain.

A starter that has been in the fridge for a while and it has been a while since it was fed and matured then only use a small amount in a dough otherwise feed it and then use or build a levain.

No need to start a new starter. Just bring it back to health with a good feed or two and carry on using the above guide.

1 Like

Sweet thanks so much @Abe and @Fermentada. I was super frustrated as these two loaves were meant as a Christmas gift, but will not be discouraged!!!

I am convinced that this is the case as well.
Back at it again next week!!

Happy Holidays