Doesn't Rise!

This is my sixth attempt to make sourdough bread and I am about to give up! I have tried three recipes and none of them have given me good results!
I started with Breadtopia’s starter yeast and have made a very healthy, bubbly started.
This last time I used the no knead recipe from here, measuring out the ingredients on a scale. After 24 hours, the dough failed to rise significantly. The dough was very liquid, so I added a bit more bread flour to stiffen it up a bit. I then poured it into a bread pan and covered it for the night. Next morning, it had only raised about an inch!
What am I failing to do?
Thanks!

24 hours is a long time to leave dough at room temperature, even in cool weather. Is it possible that your dough rose and fell without you seeing the rise part? This would mean it over-fermented and would make sense with your description of very liquid texture. (And adding some more bread flour before putting it in a bread pan would give the microbes a little more food to rise a smidge.)

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! I checked it after about 12 hours (overnight), and it hadn’t rise(d). So I left it for another 12, thinking that the room was a little cool (67).
I have also tried during the day, peaking at it. Never really doubled in size, or come close to it.
My starter seems very active, though.
I followed the “Artisan Sourdough No-Knead Bread” recipe, using 100% white bread flour. My measurements were maybe 2 grams over?

Hmm okay, not overfermenting.
The measurements are not the issue either as many people bake by eye and feel – it’s not like with cake baking where those grams of baking powder/soda make a big difference.
Is your starter doubling in the jar before you use it?

A slim possibility is if your bread flour is very unabsorbent, for whatever reason, and your dough is extremely thin, like pancake batter. Then the bubbles would be rising through the dough and popping, preventing any expansion. So fermentation would have happened in a reasonable time, but you wouldn’t see it except for tiny holes and bubbles on the surface of the dough.

When swapping out wheat for white flour, it is a good idea to use less water in the dough. I’d aim for 75% hydration or less 520 X 0.75 = 390g water or less.

You might find this blog post helpful for learning more about flour substitutions and fermentation:

Thanks for hanging in there with me!

So my first attempt was with all purpose flour. My next attempts were with all purpose and whole wheat. This last time I try using all new bread flour.

My first couple of attempts were with using a Kitchenaid mixer and I thought that I may have over kneeded.

One attempt was spoiled because I put it in the over with the light on to rise. Came back later to find the oven very hot, just from the bulb! (Need to switch to LED!)

I have had it rise once in the bowl, but when I put it in the loaf pan, it just sat there and glared at me. I cooked the &%^$# thing anyway, just to spite it! (Very heavy, but it still tasted good!)

I have spent hours watching YouTube and can’t determine where I am failing!

Again, thank you!

Pete

I’m sorry this sounds frustrating. I have been there myself, though with caramel making, rather than bread. I think using less water will help, and mix until the ingredients are incorporated. Let the dough rest maybe 15 minutes, then hand mix Rubaud style for just a minute more to work out any lumps and feel the gluten strength. The long fermentation will further develop the gluten for you.
Here’s a blog post with a video of Rubaud mixing/kneading:

One other thought, if you’re baking in a loaf pan, how about making a loaf pan recipe?
The dough tends to be much more manageable, and the baking temperature is better suited for loaf pans.

Thank you for your suggestions, again! I will try the new recipe, next, when I finish eating up the loaf I made already! :wink:

Okay, not to be a PITA (Good choice in a bread forum???), but if I were to replace the Spelt flour (Hope I spelt that right!) with regular bread flour, do you think that I should reduce the quantity of milk by about 30 grams?
I wish there was a local bread making class, after the vaccine comes out!

Thank you,

Pete

LOL nice pun. Yes, you can/should probably reduce the milk. I’d play it by ear on the amount though.

I’ve been meaning to take an online dumpling-making class that a friend told me about. Usually I can pick things up via YouTube and reading, but I need more help on dumplings. In person would be amazing…

I had problems with rising several years ago when I used tap water. I learned that our water is full of chlorine. I switched to Crystal Geyser spring water and it made all the difference.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I will try spring water on my next batch!

Have you tried a new batch of starter? From what you have shared you have identified the flour and water and rising possibilities but it could be your started. It hasn’t happened to me often but over the years I have had problems with a starter that would bubble but it simply would fade out when used in my typically easy recipe. When that would happen I would try resting it, feeding it, cutting back on feeding - all to no avail. These are, after all, living organisms. You might keep the current one but start a brand new one and see if you get some traction. Good luck!!

Hi,
I was just wondering what percentage of starter you use in your recipe? Do you know the hydration level of your bread?

I do not know the answers to your questions. All I know is that I have followed the recipes, weighing out the ingredients. If anything, I may have started with a little extra started, by a few rams, because it is had to weigh it exactly.
Thanks for asking!

The starter is not that old. I received the dry starter from Breadtopia on August 21 (According to Amazon) and probably did not do anything with it for a couple of days.

i TOO HAVE LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH MAKING SOUR DOUGH BREAD. i HAVE TRIEDAT LEAST TEN TIMES WITH DIFFERENT STARTERS AND NONE WORK. i AM ABOUT TO GIVE UP. PULLING MY HAIR BY THE ROOTS DOESN’T HELP EITHER ;( :frowning: :frowning:

So, how many times do you feed your starter before you make dough with it? Also, several people swear by this recipe as a first attempt success, including yours truly. http://www.wildyeastblog.com/my-new-favorite-sourdough/ Give it a try.

Judi,

I feel your pain!
I am going to try, again, later this week using spring water. Maybe that will give the dough a lift!

Pete

GOOD LUCK! I hope it works for you!
Judi