Cutter to make pierogis

I had a blast yesterday making pierogis for the first time. They came out great. I used an inexpensive metal pastry circle cutter I think came from the dollar store, and would love to get a better tool to use. So of course I looked here! Any thoughts on whether this ravioli cutter can be used for a single layer of dough Eppicotispai Large Round Ravioli Stamp | Breadtopia

If not, other suggestions?

Also, FYI, I ran out of Breadtopia all purpose flour in the middle of making 100 pierogis over the weekend, so I had to use some organic all purpose flour from Whole Foods, and I could definitely tell the difference between batches. The Breadtopia flour made a MUCH nicer dough that handled easier, rolled thinner and tasted better. I have to reorder more ASAP.

Jennie

@joesterreicher Jennie, you made 100 pierogis?

WOW!
Leah

Surprisingly yes! 3-inch circles. First batch was 25, then close to 40, then at least another 40 from the last batch, but I lost count! I made three kinds of filling, three kinds of dough, two of which were pink because of the added beet juice (and the vitamin C I added thanks to the beet sourdough recipe tips here at Breadtopia!)… Still some dough from the first batch in the fridge, as well as some of the potato onion filling, so I will make those up later in the week. The saurkraut onion were the best and so much easier. The hardest one had purple cabbage, shredded beets and red onion and a whole bunch of odd seasonings like mustard and pickles. Weird but delish!

2 Likes

Here is the recipe I used for the dough. I pretty much winged the fillings :slight_smile:

1 Like

These and the knishes are on my list. I need to get potatoes lol.