Crumb isn't open enough?

Been a minute since I’ve been here. Life got busy for a while, but I’ve kept at the Sourdough game. Starter turns 6 months old this month lol. /sigh…they grow up so fast! I feed my starter 50/50 wheat and bread flour. Last feed was Rye though for a test.

Trying to get a handle on the crumb not being as open as I would like. Holes are shiny, so I know that is good. Bread is fluffy and not dense either. Starter is rising very well. I use the KA No Knead recipe now. I make the dough, let it autolyse for an hour, fold it 3 times over 3 hours and in the fridge it goes for 18 hours or so.

1st loaf is one I just used bread flour for the dough, 2nd loaf, I fed with half Rye and replaced 100 grams of bread flour for Rye. I used 2 different shaping methods too. I’m wondering if maybe I need to let the dough warm up longer than 2 or 3 hours before baking? Maybe I’m overthinking this though. I do that.
Incoming pic bombs.

1 Like

Cant help you i’m afraid. Looks perfect to me.

1 Like

Meh. Pics are reversed lol. Top loaf is the Rye

I agree with @Abe those breads look great.

1 Like

Ok. I trust you both. Trying to Google and learn from blogs and You Tube, you quickly learn there are zillions of opinions and iterations of Sourdough. Just shaping alone is a nightmare trying to figure out lol.

The crumb thing is crazy. Overproofed, underproofed? I dunno lol. It’s fun madness.

Only question is… are you happy with the outcome? At the end of the day you’re the one making and eating the bread. A more, or less, open crumb being ideal is not the decision of Google, Blogs or YouTube. As far as fermentation goes they look very good to me. As far as the crumb goes everyone can have a different idea of what’s good. I’d be very happy with those two loaves.

You have a PM.