Bagels Overnight Proof

I’ve been making bagels regularly for a little over a year now at my bakery. I always have good results when the entire process is done in one day, however, I am looking to split the process up into two days.

After some research, I thought that the best way to do this was: make the dough, bulk proof, split it up into pieces & shape into bagels. At this point, in the production I’ve been experimenting with letting the shaped bagels sit in the fridge for about 24 hours. I’ve read online that this should be fine, but I have had no such luck! They always overproof and come out flatter then they would if I had baked them the same day as the shape.

Does anyone have any advice for me about how to remedy this? Is there any way I could get the bagels to proof more slowly overnight? Do bagel shops typically complete their bakes from the first to last step each day? Any insight to this would be helpful!

If it’s helpful, here’s the recipe I’m using: 530 g water, 38 g barley malt syrup, 7 g yeast, 885 g bread flour, 17 g salt.

Hi, I feel your pain with this. I use a similar recipe and had some flat bagels while experimenting with proving overnight. I did find that before boiling I needed to take the bagels out of the refrigerator and let them stand at room temperature for an hour. I’d read somewhere this was a good idea and I did get some good results that way. My article is here https://www.cakebakerecipes.com/recipes/overnight-bagels-recipe/ if you want to take a look.
Cheers, Jon