Sourdough rye

Pleased with this , plus I have been experimenting with using excess sourdough in scones. Have a batch of caramelised onion scones n the oven now. So far so good.

Nice! Just wanted to add a link to your scones for reader’s enjoyment: Sourdough English scones

Hi!!
Is this what I hope it is ? Namely: la tourte de seigle or la tourte Auvergnate?
I have an allergy for wheat, so I try to make la tourte, which is a French recipe.
Made with sourdough with rye (instead of wheat) and rye T70.
A shop in France in Lille, Alex Croquet, makes them and they are super! Also a shop in Strasbourg, “le pain de mon grand père”, makes them fantastic!But I want to make them myself, I do not want to drive alle the way from Belgium tot France to get my bread!!
I tried a recipe, but it was not completely “that”. Anyone can help me?
Dominique

BTW I hate pumpernickel, it is much too sour for me… And I love la tourte!!

Meanwhile, I have found a recipe and I must say, it is exactly how I want it.
Sourdough rhye bread, but not sour at all when you eat it. It has a nice crum and a very good taste. It is far better than the bread I bought in bakeries. I am very happy. When somebody wants the recipe, I will be glad to give it.
I got it from a French quality control baker and it is super.

Your bread looks very ice. I am a rye fan. Please poste the formula. Thanks Barbara

Tourte de seigle (= French name = sourdough rye bread)

1. On Sunday start the sourdough: as much flour as water approximately. Beginning with 40 g rye flour T70,(or T130) join some filtered water or mineral water from the bottle. (not from the tap!) until you get a grey thick pasta. Put in a glass jar and cover it. In the evening : just stir. The following 2 days, monday and tuesday, you stir twice a day. The following three days, you add every morning about 40 g rye flour with a bit of water and you stir it in the evening. The pasta already has bubbles (lightly) on the third day, when the weather is hot! If it is not so, just go on. It will work!
  2. Ready on Saturday. You have certainly about 200g sourdough.
  3. Saturday you make the “ hard sourdough”.
  4. Now you need : 100 g from the sourdough you just made, 200 g flour T70, and 100 g water on 60° C that you obtain by putting it in a glass in the microwave for 30 seconds full speed… Take rather what more water, then it rises better, for example 120g. (Let the rest of your sourdough in the jar. Add 40 g. flour and in the evening stir again.
  5. Mix the lot, check if it is thoroughly mixed (after about 5 minutes) and put it in a plastic box with the lid loose, in a place where it is warm: you need about 27°C. (I put it in a little room where the heating is. I checked the heat!! ) Your dough is warm!
  6. After THREE HOURS, it has risen well, you close the box and put it in the refrigerator for (at least) 12 till 14u.
  7. Sunday: BAKING DAY! You make 2 breads, each of them will weigh about 525 g (baked)
  8. Therefore, you mix the “hard sourdough” from the box (about 400g), with 500 g rye flour, 475 g water on 60°C (= 2 minutes in microwave), 1 table sp honey and 3 g dry yeast. You mix this for 2 minutes and then you join the salt : 17 g. Knead 10 minutes with your machine…
  9. Take two little baskets with linen (bannetons) and pour more than a tablespoon rye flour in the banneton and on the sides as well. The rye dough is VERY sticky! In every basket you put 700 g dough. Powder with flour so that the towel does not stick, and put the baskets covered with a towel, in your warm place. For 1 hour and 15’. The dough must double. Regular verifying and if it reaches the edge of the baskets: immediately bake, do not wait or the dough collapses !
  10. Put your oven on the forced air stand, on 220° C. When it has 220°C, you turn your baskets upside down on your oven plate with silicon mat and slide immediately in the oven. You removed the bannetons of course!!
  11. After 20 minutes, you throw the oven open and you put your oven on normal stand on 200°C. You keep the oven open for one minute and then you close it. Now you bake for 50 minutes. Ready!
  12. Brush the bread to remove the flour, and let the bread cool down before cutting them!