Zassenhaus manual bread slicer review

I recently bought this for my husband’s birthday. Actually, we bought it for him because he’s always having to “repair” the efforts of the slicing impaired people in our household. And because he always slices off the end, destabilizing the remainder of the loaf, which makes it hard for everyone else to slice the last piece or two. (Too big for the toaster, too small for two pieces, too hard to slice straight.)

OVERALL CONSTRUCTION: Very nicely done, with cast iron and a solid, nicely finished piece of wood as the base. The suction cups work like they’re supposed to on any smooth surface. We put it on the granite bar top.
BLADE: The blade is sharp - I mean, really REALLY sharp. We are all in agreement: don’t touch the blade! I discovered this morning, when slicing a very thin slice of sourdough, that it’s so sharp there’s not always a need to turn the handle - it continued slicing with just a push.
ADJUSTABLE WIDTH: I’d like it to be able to slice thicker but I’m guessing it’s adjusted to fit the size of a standard toaster. Still, not everyone has standard toasters and some people (like my husband) like to slice generous, thick slices of homemade bread. It is also not the smoothest part to operate. If anyone has found a way to adjust this to slice thicker, I’d love to hear it.
CRANK HANDLE: Yes, it will hit the slice of bread if you aren’t careful, so be aware and be careful. We can keep the slice of bread upright 95% of the time without any trouble.

It also works just fine even if the power is out, so that’s a plus - not that we lose power that often, but you never know.

2 Likes

Now that you’ve had the slicer for a few months, have you noticed the blade getting dull where it isn’t slicing as easily? I saw this issue mentioned in an Amazon review (though I would support Breadtopia and buy it from them).

No, in fact the blade is so sharp we move the spacer all the way to the left so someone doesn’t accidentally hit it and cut themselves badly.

1 Like