Yecora Rojo Sourdough Breads

It’s really hard to say but my experience with Kamut is that it’s not as strong as Yecora Rojo. You could always try both : )

I made the 100 percent Yecora Rojo recipe, but used bolted Yecora Rojo flour that I had on hand. I used the active gluten development process and baked the bread in my clay baker from Breadtopia. My husband and I agreed that this was the best sourdough bread I have made so far! The process was easy, and the flavor and crumb were wonderful. Now I am debating whether to get more of the bolted flour or get the whole grain Yecora Rojo in my next order. I don’t have a mill and can’t really justify getting one at this point.
Thank you so much for a great recipe, Melissa!
Google Photos

1 Like

Beautiful loaf, Ginny. Yecora Rojo is my favorite flour, and is the flour used at Tartine Bakery. I prefer to use bolted Yecora Rojo, then add 20% of a whole grain flour, often a combination of Spelt and Rye, and I’ve also used 20% whole grain Yecora Rojo. I prefer the crumb with bolted flour, while still obtaining nutritional value from bolted and 20% whole grain. It’s hard to beat the flavor of Yecora Rojo.
Richard

1 Like

Thank you, Richard! Great suggestions. I will definitely try using 20 percent whole grain flour with the bolted Yecora Rojo in the future. If I ever make it to California I would love to visit Tartine Bakery.

Nice work, that looks delish! It’s fun when they come out like that, isn’t it?

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile: That looks delicious!

1 Like

Need advice please.
Attempted the Yecora Rojo no knead again ( first time worked ok) yesterday. Bread fell flat during bake.
Followed recipe best I could, dough was very wet as expected. Got what i believed was a good first rise. But could not successfully make a good boule because of wet dough. Got it into the banneton “ok” and let it rise about 3 hours. Seemed to rise well again. Followed bake instructions. When I removed the lid on the cloche expecting to see a good loaf, it was flat as a pancake, about 1" thick. Really disappointed, but don’t know where i went wrong. Tastes pretty good though and had decent size air holes inside. This was 100% yecora rojo.
What should i do next time to avoid this. Seems like 80% hydration may be too much.
Appreciate any/all comments.

How much did the dough rise during the first rise? It sounds like it over fermented. When this happens and the dough is hard to form into a loaf, sometimes it helps to shape, rest a few minutes, and re-shape. Get that tension as best you can. Then, and this is key, do a shorter final proof, possible into the freezer for the last 20 minutes.
Dropping the dough hydration is totally fine too though, and it’ll kill two birds with one stone: dryer dough ferments slower.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I’m pretty sure the first rise was upwards of doubling. When dough is that wet, I have a real hard time building tension in it, it seems to flatten out when I try, won’t stay in a boule shape. I think I’ll try it next time with less liquid, may 65-70 % hydration. That sound OK?
Appreciate your tips.

Also, I think you’re right about fermentation time. I told my wife I think I over proofed it. I should be checking it during the final proof, and I didn’t.

I would keep the hydration at 73-75%, and maybe stop the first rise before doubling (75-90% expansion). If you don’t have a straight-walled container for the dough, do an aliquot jar to track the expansion. Just try to keep it roughly the same temp as the main dough, otherwise it’s kinda useless for tracking fermentation. With this lesser degree of bulk fermentation, you probably won’t need to cut the final proof shorter, though definitely check on it.
Alternately, let the dough double, but do the shorter final proof. (So many ways to arrive at a similar end.)

Here’s a shaping article with videos that might be helpful How to Shape Dough | Breadtopia

One more thought: Breadtopia’s bread flour is high protein and pretty strong on the gluten front. If you’re using a lower protein brand or all purpose flour, that would also help explain the wet and floppy feeling of the dough. Dropping the hydration, as discussed, and throwing in a few stretch and folds could help too.

I’ve done just that proportion of flours, and the result was stunningly delicious and very pretty.

1 Like

I am getting some Yecora Rojo grains, have a mill. Does anyone know how I can make my own bolted version?

You can buy a sifter like this one:

…and then after you mill your YR berries into flour in your mill, sift the flour and what comes through the sifter is bolted flour.

What stays in the sifter will be mostly bran and some of the germ from the whole grain flour. There is a lot of nutritional value in both and you can use it in various other ways.

1 Like

Thanks. Can you tell me what the approximate extraction is with a 40 & 50 sifter?

Not really because it depends quite a lot on how finely you are milling. It’s been a long time since I used a sifter but IIRC i think at the time i was getting something like 85% - 90% extraction flour with one pass through a 40 mesh.

1st 100% whole wheat loaf with this delicious flour and I seemed to get better loft than any other whole wheat attempt I’ve tried….maybe the saltolyse compared to my usual lazy mix everything approach or trying no shaping at all compared to my usual bad shaping :laughing: Dusted with some extra bran on top and bottom. Flavorful flour and was very easy to handle.

This looks great! Congratulations :tada:

1 Like

The first time I made this bread turned out flat and under fermented as Abe said. Not one to give up I took Abe’s advice and went back at it carefully and it performed well at all stages. I was pleasantly surprised. It didn’t have the oven spring I was hoping for but it was fine with me. Not sure at this point where I could improve on it but I am sure I can. Bulk fermentation was 8 hours in my kitchen then shaped and rest 20 minutes. Then shaped again for batteon I was using rest 35 minutes and into fridge for 8 hours. Rise was good overnight and as I said I am happy with the results but will try and cut back on bulk fermentation some . Thanks for all your input.