Yecora Rojo Sourdough Breads

Thanks so much for this info. My oven quit Wednesday, repairs supposed to happen Monday. I have a very long list of orders for Thanksgiving. Hopefully all will be well by Monday afternoon!

Here’s the crumb of my 100% whole grain Yecora Rojo loaf from today. I still have no proper words to describe the flavor. I still like it very much. I still find it interesting. I still think it doesn’t have the bitter undertone of a standard modern hard red wheat. All i can say about the flavor at this point is that it seems very distinctive and interesting and I like it. I also like how this wheat performs - it was as smooth and elastic as a hard red. Very easy to shape, easy to score, good oven spring.

It made a very nice sandwich for lunch this afternoon.

Good luck on your oven repairs!

I made the 50% version with 28 gm unfed cold starter for 2 loaves. The aroma and flavor of this grain is incredible. Behaves like a typical hard red wheat.

Those look great! Thanks for sharing your experience with using a tiny bit of starter too.

Best bread I’ve ever made in terms of taste and crumb. But I still need to work on my shaping a bit for this very wet dough. Thank you!

1 Like

This morning I baked two loaves using this recipe. One was with the Yecora Rojo flour from Breadtopia, and the other was organic whole wheat flour, since I had run out of the former. And since shipping is costly, I thought there might not be much difference. My husband’s immediate remark was “order that flour again!” The difference in taste was pretty remarkable. I don’t know what it is again this flour, but it makes a delicious loaf of bread. Thank you Breadtopia for the flour and also for providing us with such wondering recipes.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I haven’t done a taste test like that. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

HI, This is my go to recipe and I make it almost weekly, except when I make your rye recipe instead. I always do 100% whole wheat, and sometimes I have good crumb and sometimes I have very little. Can you tell me how to get consistently good crumb? thanks!

Sounds like a great bread rotation you have going on!

I imagine something different is happening with your fermentation (or shaping, but that’s less likely the culprit imo) on the occasions when you’re not getting the crumb you want.

Try making a note of process times and ambient temperatures, and the dough feel and appearance at all the different stages. Then maybe you’ll be able to determine something like: colder days need more fermentation time, or refrigerator final proof is worse or better. Or you’re switching your shaping approach when the crumb is tighter.

When you repeat a recipe a lot, it is a unique opportunity to understand the impact of process.

The 50% came out gorgeous! I realized that one thing I love about your recipes is the hydration: when I mix the water in for the autolyse (I put the salt in then; don’t think it makes a difference and it’s easier), I can accomplish that with a dough scraper and don’t have to get my hands sticky. I did refrigerate my dough overnight after the stretch and folds due to timing issues, then put it into my Instant Pot set for yogurt to ferment the next morning. While the oven heated the dough rested in the freezer. I will put the baking sheet under the Dutch oven sooner next time, as the bottom was still pretty dark, but not scorched. I’m very pleased with the result. Thanks!

I’ve had great results using fresh milled Yecora Rojo flour in the Breadtopia No-Knead Sourdough Bread recipe. I bake it in the batard clay baker and it gets a great oven spring.

artisansourdoughaug20

1 Like

Wow, Don’t know why I didn’t see this earlier. Anyhow, do you think using1/4 Bread and 1/4 Kamut and 1/2 Yecora Rojo would work?

Thanks in advance.
hester

I’ve been making my way through the various wheats. I liked Turkey Red, didn’t care for Red Fife (partly the flavor, but also how it felt to work the dough), and I’m on my first bag of Yecoro Rojo – which is by far my favorite so far! Last week I baked two loaves with this – one was a Yecoro, Rye, and Kamut blend (100 g Kamut and 200 each Yecoro and Rye) and the other a white, Yecoro, kamut, and oat porridge (made with unsweetened vanilla soymilk – I then added dried cranberries and orange zest. It was delicious!). The all-wheat mix tastes really good, though at 75% hydration, didn’t rise as much as I see in these pictures. Still, I think I’ll stick with the Yecoro Rojo for a while b/c I like the flavor so much, and I’m convinced that Kamut makes bread springier.

Glad you reposted on this topic, thanks. I made the original 50/50 recipe using flour from Camas Country Mill in Eugene, OR. They have several blends with Yecora Rojo available for mail order. The bread came out well, and I am eager to try your variations in this more recent post. Additional photos and comments to come soon.

Sounds like a delicious combination. I think the lower gluten Kamut would be balanced by the higher gluten bread flour, and you might get a result that looks like the 100% yecora rojo loaf in the recipe post.

I’m glad you’re enjoying yecora rojo and having fun experimenting with it.

Looking forward to it!

Thank you thank you. My favorite bread recipe is one based on the Kamut recipe you showcased. I’m just going to use that Kamut recipe and substitute the Yecora for 1/2 the Bread Flour, which is 70% of the total. Rest is Kamut (1/2 white 1/2 wg) and 5% rye. Just ordered a small bag…> Hoping I love it.
Thank you for all your contributions, responses and recipes on this forum.
hester

Melissa
If I want a result more like the 50% Yecora, should I use 50% Bread and 25% each kamut and Yecora, or would you do 1/3 each: Bread, Yecora, Kamut?
Thanks in advance.
hester