Yeast versus sourdough

Hi Melissa,

I am going to try and convert the all spelt sourdough recipe of yours ( that my spoiuse and I love ) to a yeast bread. I did copy how to do that ( interms of replacing the sour with yeast, flour, and water ) but my question is about how long to bulk and proof. In the original sourdough recipe the dough bulks for about 12 hours overnight… Is it the same time frame using yeast? I know that in your Rye Bread recipe ( with anise, orange peel, fennel, caraway, etc.) the time is the same with sour or yeast but I am not sure with the spelt bread.

And would there be a general guideline when using yeast instead of sourdough when breads are bulking overnight, in the fridge or on the counter?

Many thanks, as usual, for your help. And Hasppy New Year to you all at Breadtopia.

For the dough to double, 1/4 tsp yeast would be an 8-12 hour rise and 2 tsp yeast is 1-2 hours. The range is because of variable dough temp. (The artisan rye recipe yeast amount is 1 tsp, which seems like the dough would double at 5-6 hours, but I haven’t tried that version so I’m just speculating.)

For all spelt dough, I would use 1/4 tsp yeast and anticipate around 8 hours because all whole grain dough ferments a bit faster. There will be some trial and error, so try to use a container where you can track expansion of the dough, and maybe mix in the a.m. the first time so you can keep an eye on the dough.

Thanks for the guidlines. I think that starting the spelt in the morning and checking pon it rise is a good way to check on how fast the dough rises.
I have tried the artisan rye bread recipe with yeast keeping the times as if were sourdough and the results were pretty good.

1 Like