Wholegrain Spelt and Rye bread

Vollkorn Spelt and Vollkorn Rye Bread Leavened by fermented malted rye scald and Lievito Madre from Hefewasser no yeast(Hefe). The flavor is sweet, earthy with soft chewy texture.

Inspired by . Spelled rye bread from Suepke (Dinkel Roggen Brot | Bäcker Süpke`s Welt)

Final mix:
165g spelt(dinkel)
Fermented malted rye scald
Hot soaker
Wild Yeast Water Preferment
Bulk in 2 hours, final proof in 45 minutes-60 minutes. Bake

Hot soaker:
75g Dinkelvollkornschrot mittel
Salt
145g boiling water
Mix and cover and let sit for 4-24 hours.

Wild Yeast Water(wyw or Hefewasser) Preferment
200g spelt flour
150g Hefewasser
Mix 100g spelt and 100g wyw and ferment for 12 hours. Add the rest of ingredients and ferment for 4 hours.

Fermented malted rye scald:
75g of rye sourdough
150g malted rye scald
Ferment until inside is full of small bubbles around -4 hours at 28C

Rye sourdough:
10g rye sourdough starter
50g rye flour
50g warm water
Ferment overnight in warm place. Save rest , use 75g.

Malted scald (Roggen)
50g rye
100g boiling water
3g white rye(malted rye, diastatically active)
Mix rye and water until smooth. At 65C add white malt and hold at 65C for 5 hours. It is slack and sweet and dark.

Neat, thanks for sharing. What did you use for your yeast water. Coincidentally, I was making fruit yeast water this week, but ran into problems. I’m not sure it the issue was my raisins having sunflower oil in the ingredient list or that I got impatient and put my jar on a heating pad.

You have to stay away from non-organic fruit as well as any fruit that has a coating on the outside like oil or sugar or apple juice. The outside has the wild yeast.

1 Like

When I was making my yeast water I ran into the same problem. I couldn’t find raisins without some sort of oil coating. I gave up looking and had better luck with organic grapes.

Thanks @raven and @Benito I’ve got some organic dates in my pantry, no other ingredients
on the label :tada:.

1 Like

Trader Joe’s has organic raisins that are uncoated , untreated and organic as well as dates, apricots, and figs. I make a mix of them for wild yeast water. As Benny says, organic grapes work as well as organic apples and pears ; just make sure they are unwaxed.

:tada: :clap: Five days, even in a house where the thermostat is set in the 50s at night.