Whole Wheat Flor + Sprouted Wheat Flour

I’ve been baking with 100% fresh milled (Mockmill 100) Sprouted Red Wheat flour (all grains from Breadtopia) and have had good results. However, I missed some of the more robust flavor of unsprouted whole wheat. So, I began experimenting with a formula of 20% bread flour, 30% fresh milled Yecora Rojo, and 50% fresh milled sprouted wheat flour. I’ve been hydrating between 78% and 80%. I’ve used 18% real buttermilk and water for the rest of the liquid. I’been combining the bread flour, the Yecora Rojo flour and a healthy portion of the water to soak overnight, with the idea that this would create enzyme activity somewhat similar to the sprouted wheat.
My questions are: 1) Is my reasoning sound? and 2) Are there suggestions regarding any of this from the ideas to the proportions? I’m planning to try Red Fife and other whole wheat flours as well.
Here’s the last loaf. Sorry it’s not a picture of the crumb, but maybe if these ideas hold up, I can post a more thorough recipe in the Readers’ Recipes section sometime.

Your bread looks great. That color and crust! Have you tried bolles wheat? It may have a more wheaty flavor than yecora rojo. Red fife and rouge de bordeaux are stronger on the baking spice aromas.

I think you’re correct that the overnight soak or autolyse will get the enzymatic activity going. Are you trying to create a sweeter bread this way? If so, another thing to look at might be the saccarification process described here:

1 Like

Melissa, thank you so much for your kind words and suggestions. I look forward to trying the other wheats.

I am pretty new to the science of bread making. My initial goals for the autolyze were to soften the bran, reduce bitterness in the bran and somewhat replicate the effects of sprouting. Since I was also using sprouted flour, I was trying to make the whole wheat and bread flour similar to the sprouted flour in the final dough, which seemed to work pretty well.

You have pointed me to new frontiers with the mash idea. I’m guessing that if I were to use sprouted flour, I would use it just in the final dough. I am also intrigued with making breads without sprouted flour, and this recipe and article are a great inspiration. On a side note, I’m a life-long New Englander, and just last night on the phone with my sister, she was trying to convince me to make Anadama Bread. It seems the stars have aligned!

Again, thanks so much.

Your reasoning and strategies make sense to me. I love the coincidence of your sister and I talking about Anadama bread at the same time : )

1 Like