Whole-wheat Chia Seed Sandwich Bread

My test run with week was recipe I am developing for Whole-wheat Chia Seed Sandwich bread. For this test I used yeasted preferment at 65% hydration, my original plan was overall hydration of 67% but during kneading of final dough I had to adjust hydration to 70%. The chia seeds had absorbed a lot of the milk. To soften the chia seeds I added the chia seeds to 428% whole milk, 3% salt and placed in refrigerator for 13 hours. During this time I also prepared yeasted preferment. Overall all salt content for recipe was 1.8% by baker’s percent. The whole-wheat portion of recipe was fresh milled hard red spring wheat. The texture, moisture and density is just right for sandwiches and the bread has nice taste and crunch from chia seeds. Next time I make I will have to adjust amount of dough in pan so that if is 1/2 full before final proofing. When I divided the final dough into 2 equal portions it only covered 1/4 of pan, this is why the loafs looks like mini loafs. I placed the pans it in preheated oven when dough reached top of the loaf pans.

1 Like