Whole Grain Turkish Simit

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

The yeast version is rising now. The dough seems very wet so I am hoping for the best!I followed instructions for grams measurements exactly.

My fingers are crossed for your dough. Use a lot of flour on the work surface if needed. Did you use the same flours?

I used a combo of what I had on hand (bread flour and white whole wheat). It was delicious, although certainly not as pretty as yours!

:raised_hands: Looks beautiful!

Thank you for this recipe. I made the sourdough simit with the recommended flours and they turned out great. Very tasty. I used barley malt syrup as the outside sweetener. I wonder if an overnight fridge fermentation (before shaping) would add more chewiness to the simit. I’m big on chewy bread/rolls! Any thoughts on this?

The stronger the flour the chewier the bread. It’s the gluten that adds to the chewiness. You might need to convert this recipe for very strong bread flour to get the texture you’re after.

I think overnight refrigeration could boost the gluten strength of the dough a bit. When I make whole grain bagels, I use vital wheat gluten. The chew is a big deal for me too. I could definitely see using it for Simit also.

1 Like

Good idea!