Whole Grain Pop Tarts

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

These look great! Are they sturdy enough to reheat in a toaster like the commercial version?

I think these would be fine in a toaster. I happen to have a toaster oven so haven’t tested it though.

Can’t wait to try these. Do they freeze well?

I suspect they will freeze fine: wrap and then put in a box/Tupperware so they don’t get crushed.
I never got a chance to freeze any, though. They all got eaten within 4-5 days.

Thank you, your answer also covered my nex question : shelf life (although they look so good I doubt that will be a concern!)

1 Like

I revisited this recipe last night, making the dough with all purpose flour. I didn’t change the dough formula in any other way, so it was a little wet, but still manageable. I also shortened the dough chilling time. In all, it took me a little over half an hour to go from wanting pop tarts to putting the pastries in the oven (they then baked for 22 minutes, and let’s not discuss dish washing ;).

I used frozen raspberries and a few strawberries to get to the same weight of fruit that’s in the recipe. The filling was more watery, so I used a full tbsp of corn starch and also simmered for a while. I think it maybe could have used more sugar too. I’m staunchly anti-frosting on my pop tarts, but I found myself thinking these needed either frosting or a sweeter filling. You have to gauge your fruit…

Also, you may want to resist over filling each pop tart like I do. I personally can’t resist.

Making the filling and straining out the raspberry seeds:

Rolling the dough between two sheets of parchment and creating each pop tart

A little egg wash because I had some leftover in the refrigerator and baked up/exploded due to overstuffing