Whole Einkorn Whole Wheat Sourdough Buttermilk Bread

My original plan was to test bake a bread raised by sakadane, however, that didn’t get bubbly enough to raise anything. So plan B was baked instead. I have a small amount of einkorn that I haven’t touched recently and thought that it would be perfect to use as a tangzhong. It has poor gluten so gelatinizing it in a tangzhong is a perfect way to add it to a bread. I also enjoyed a test bake of buttermilk bread that I did recently so decided on a buttermilk bread.

Instructions
Levain
Mix the levain ingredients in a jar or pyrex container with space for at least 300% growth.
Press down with your knuckles to create a uniform surface and to push out air.
At a temperature of 78ºF, it typically takes up to 10-12 hours for this sweet stiff levain to be at peak.
Tangzhong
Put about 1” of water in a sauce pan set on medium high heat. In the bowl of the stand mixer stir the buttermilk and flour until blended. Then place the bowl on the sauce pan to cook the tangzhong (Bain Marie) for several minutes until well thickened, stirring regularly with a spoon or heat-resistant spatula. Theoretically it should reach 65ºC (149ºF) but I don’t find I need to measure the temperature as the tangzhong gelatinizes at this temperature. Let cool in the bowl and then refrigerate until the next morning.

Dough
In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the milk, egg, tangzhong, salt, sugar and levain. Mix and then break up the levain into smaller pieces. Next add the flour and vital wheat gluten. Mix on low speed until there is no dry flour remaining. Once incorporated increase the speed gradually to medium. Mix at medium until the gluten is moderately developed. With the mixer running add the room temperature butter one pat at a time until it is fully incorporated, waiting until each pat is well incorporated before adding the next. Continue to mix until you can pull a good windowpane, not quite as good as a white flour because the bran will interrupt the windowpane somewhat.

Shape the dough into a tight ball, cover in the bowl and ferment for 3-4 hours at 82ºF. There should be some rise visible at this stage.
You can next place the dough into the fridge to chill the dough for about 1.5 hours, this makes rolling the dough easier, remember if you do so the final proof will take longer. Alternatively, you can do a cold retard in the fridge overnight.

Prepare your pans by greasing them or line with parchment paper. Scrape the dough out onto a clean counter top. Lightly flour the bench. Transfer the dough onto the bench and divide it into four. I like to weigh them to have equal sized lobes. Shape each tightly into a boule, allow to rest 5 mins. Using a rolling pin roll each ball out and then letterfold. Turn 90* and using a rolling pin roll each out to at least 8”. Letterfold again from the sides so you have a long narrow dough. Then using a rolling pin, roll flatter but keeping the dough relatively narrow. The reason to so this extra letterfold is that the shorter fatter rolls when placed in the pan will not touch the sides of the pan. This allows the swirled ends to rise during final proof. Next roll each into a tight roll with some tension. Arrange the rolls of dough inside your lined pan alternating the direction of the swirls. This should allow a greater rise during proof and in the oven.

Cover and let proof for 6-8 hours, longer time if you chilled your dough for shaping. I proof until the top of the dough comes to within 1 cm of the top edge of the pan.

Preheat the oven to 350F and brush the dough with the egg-milk wash (1 egg with 1 tsp of milk and pinch of salt). Just prior to baking brush with the egg-milk wash again.

Bake the loaves for 50 minutes or until the internal temperature is at least 190ºF, rotating as needed to get even browning. Shield your loaf if it gets brown early in the baking process. After 50 mins remove the bread from the pan and bake a further 10 mins by placing the loaf directly in the oven on the rack with the oven turned down to 325ºF. You can brush the top of the loaf with butter if you wish at this point while the bread is still hot to keep the top crust soft.

1 Like

Super happy with the texture and flavour of this bread. I’m not sure if it is the buttermilk or the Einkorn tangzhong, but this loaf is more tender and fluffy than other 100% whole grain milk breads I’ve baked. The flavour of the buttermilk is scrumptious and the crisp buttery crust is yummy.

I baked this loaf without parchment in my USA Pans Pullman pan. In the past when I baked without parchment the loaf got badly stuck in one of the corners of the pan. I did a much more thorough buttering job of the pan and this is the first time that my loaf released from this pan without any parchment. A nice side effect of not having paper lining the pan (other than the buttery crust) is that the swirled ends of the lobes rise more in the pan. I’d say the buttered sides of the pan have less friction compared to the parchment paper so as the dough rises the swirls rise and don’t get stuck as much towards the bottom of the pan.

1 Like

Whole einkorn and whole wheat :smiley:!
Gorgeous bake.

1 Like

Thanks again AG, kind of you to say.
Benny

Another beautiful loaf, Benny, and I’ll bet the flavor is fantastic. Whenever I use Einkorn I wonder why I don’t use it more often as I love the flavor. It’s nice to see you finally using buttermilk. I grew up on buttermilk and developed a taste for it at a young age, only it was from a nearby farmer who would drop by a couple of quarts after he’d churned butter. I like to either either use a cup or two in place of water to add a little sour to a loaf, or will use about 30g plus 30g EVOO to add a soft texture to the crumb. Buttermilk in our markets is always low fat and I wish a higher fat buttermilk were more available for baking, although you also have butter in this recipe. I overmixed my only attempt at making your milk bread, but I think I’ll use this recipe the next time I give it a try.
Richard

1 Like

I have no idea why I haven’t used more einkorn. My small stash was at the back of my closet and I guess out of sight out of mind, but I agree with you, einkorn is wonderful.

I don’t know why it took me so long to try real buttermilk, I love yoghurt and there are yoghurt flavours in buttermilk. Because all the buttermilk products I could find here are pasteurized I decided that I’d buy some active live culture yoghurt and make my own buttermilk once I’m out of buttermilk. Assuming this works, I’ll then just need to add milk to it and leave it out at room temperature for 12 hours or so for the milk to become buttermilk. So Richard, if you’d like to have higher fat buttermilk make it yourself. It should only take 1-2 tbsp of active live culture yoghurt added to the milk to make it in about 12 hours at RT.

Benny

I have made my own buttermilk, but it’s been awhile, possibly over 20 years ago. Thanks for reminding me. In the past I’ve mixed about 1/4 cup cultered buttermilk with about a quart of milk and let it sit out for 24 hours before putting it in the fridge. You can keep a never ending supply of buttermilk in the fridge this way, next to my raison YW and starter, refrigerated flour, seeds, ADY… Let me know how yours turns out.
Richard

1 Like

I wish we had unpasteurized cultured buttermilk here, hopefully the yoghurt will work. I’ll let you know.
Benny