What flour should I try first?

Lots of types of flour in the store. I know I can’t buy all of it so I’m looking for a red wheat and a white wheat recommendation to try first. Thank you in advance.

I would aim for a strong bread flour plus any other flour that takes your interest. This way even if it’s not strong you can use it up to 30% of the total flour without it compromising the final dough, because you have the strong bread flour, and still enjoy it’s flavour. I think red fife or turkey red would be a good choice.

@sglanders Hi! Deciding on your first selection of flours does depend a bit on the type of bread recipe you plan on using. Honestly, I do have to agree with @Abe on his recommendation of either the red fife whole wheat or the turkey red whole wheat. I have used and love both. To me, they’re virtually interchangeable. For a white whole wheat I keep the hard white spring wheat. For bread flour, I’ve used and love both the organic high protein bread flour (it’s the strongest pure white bread flour) and the select. These are the flours I can personally recommend as I love using them.

High Protein Bread Flour | Breadtopia
Breadtopia Select Bread Flour | Breadtopia
Red Fife Whole Grain Flour | Breadtopia
Turkey Red Whole Grain Flour | Breadtopia
Hard White Spring Whole Grain Flour | Breadtopia

If you have mill and plan on milling your own flour you can purchase the red fife, the hard white and the turkey red in whole berries for home grinding. If you’re not milling your own, the quality of the ground flour here at Breadtopia is wonderful and fresh. You will not be disappointed.

Baking blessings,
Leah

1 Like

That’s a tough question! I rotate from one favorite to the next. Lately when picking a red, I’d do either sprouted hard red wheat or yecora rojo…maybe spelt too. But I also enjoy turkey red, red fife, warthog…and more.

For a white wheat–that depends on the application. I use all the soft whites (pima, sonora, soft white) and also einkorn (soft beige? lol) for baking cookies and cakes. I sometimes put them in bread dough as well, but if the white wheat’s gluten is to anchor a loaf of bread, I’d get hard white spring wheat.

Edited to add: Here’s a blog post about different wheat varieties that might be of interest to you.

Thank you!

I tried Breadtopia’s yecora rojo recently for the first time, and oh my! I loved it so much I have to go buy more soon. Almost gone. Currently my favorite Breadtopia flours are yecora rojo, durum, select, high protein, and all purpose, but I haven’t found one I don’t love yet. I have tried most of Breadtopia’s flours, and my goal is to try them all in the coming months. They do each have their particular niches for what they do best, so keep notes if you want to track how different flours behave in different recipes.

1 Like

Hi! I mill all of my flour. When the recipe (no knead sour dough) flour called for is white high protein bread flour, can I use hard white wheat berries? I understand about the red whole wheat but am confused about white.

@Steiny Marcia, I’m still what I consider to be a novice baker. I do mill my own flour but when it comes to the white bread flour component of the recipe, I do use the organic white high protein bread flour that I purchase directly here from Breadtopia. It’s my understanding that even with a high quality home mill it just is not possible to get a “bread flour” from home milling. The milling technique to achieve it is not attainable at home. The mills needed for it are commercial roller mills, not home blade or stone mills. Perhaps the following links will be able to give you more information. Our incredible Melissa @Fermentada is the consummate “Bread Whisperer” here on the forum. I know her insights will be extremely helpful. I’m not nearly as knowledgeable; not in the slightest! :upside_down_face:

Bread Baking and Flour Substitution Tips | Breadtopia
Newbie’s Guide to Flour for Bread Baking | Breadtopia

Baking blessings,
Leah

Leah, thanks so much! I am going to call in the morning and add some of their flour to my order.

1 Like