Water temperature

Im looking at formulas for water temperature to get my dough the temperature I want. I’ve seen dough temp x3 - yeast temp -flour temp = water temperature. Does that work? It seems the volumes of each would make a difference. I’m going to try it tonight. Usually I use a haphazard method and then try to alter the temperature later. Really trying to dial in some variables.

Well to answer my own question I tried it and it worked. After starting the dough at 80° it was much easier to control the rise. Im used to monitoring temperature when mashing and fermenting for brewing but for baking I always used the close enough method

Thank you for sharing and testing the formula. Flour temperature is definitely relevant to final dough temp when I’m doing experiments that involve home-milled flour. I mill the night before so all the flour cools down to the same temperature and my 2+ doughs are the same temp.

do you measure your liquid temperature ?

Only if I’m in a rush, I’ll warm up water and take its temp to make sure I don’t go overboard with the heat. Also when I’m doing a scald/saccarification recipe.

For experiments, I’m pouring water from the same carafe and my goal is that the experiment doughs be the same temp – unless that is the variable I’m testing.

1 Like

I’ve usually used the back of the hand thermometer for tap water. But yesterday I used cold beer from the tap so put it in the microwave to warm it and release the CO2. Not sure if the CO2 would make any difference

Carbonated water supposedly adds some bubbles to the dough according to my google search, but given how much people want bubbles, I’m guessing this is more for pancake batter than long-fermented bread – or we’d all be baking with seltzer!

Here’s a beer bread recipe with some pics, and comments after with more pics – normal bubbles-looking, delicious bread. (Except the pic I posted in Jan 2017 where I used AP and Einkorn and got a super weird crumb lol)

1 Like