Vacumm Dough Question

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding vacuum dough for pastries. I am working on my Cannolis and been studying this video (search in YouTube for “tcfdfsJGmLk”)

At around 01:10 in the video they are sealing the dough for the shells in vacuum before letting the dough to rest in the fridge. Can anyone explain the purpose of the vacuum sealing and is it recommended? Thanks!

I am no expert but here is the first thing that popped up when I googled it…

“… the dough and then have to wait 36 hours to bake off the cookies. Fortunately I remembered the vacuum sealer in our kitchen. In the past we had used the vacuum sealer for pasta doughs. The process sped up the process of moisture absorption, allowing us to create silky doughs with less liquid”.

https://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2008/07/vacuum-sealed-cookie-dough.html#:~:text=the%20dough%20and%20then%20have,silky%20doughs%20with%20less%20liquid

1 Like

Some people use this method to reduce the kneading time for doughs like pasta. If you have a vacuum sealer, you can try it and see if you notice any improvement, but it’s not necessary, especially if you kneaded it well.

It’s also not necessary to shorten the resting time, since cannoli dough only needs to rest for 30 minutes, unlike pastry dough and some cookies, that benefit from at least an overnight rest.

1 Like