Underproofed? Bulk fermentation takes forever(?)

Hi everyone. This is my first sourdough bread. I have another loaf in the fridge because I couldn’t bake it today, will do it tomorrow afternoon.
Built a levain last night at 8:40 pm, 100% KAF all purpose flour, 20 g starter, 80g-80g water and flour.
Created it with a ripe starter. I believe it was in its peak, at 6 am, passed the floating test and seemed that it already started to sink down in the jar.
The recipe was from the Perfect Loaf website.
460 g flour
340 g water (used 50 g less)
9 g salt
92 g starter

The dough was sticky but manageable. Haven’t wrote down the exact times, will do it next time but I started the stretch and fold at 7 am and did 5 sets.
The recipe said the bulk fermentation should last 3-4 hrs. I put the bowl into the oven, turned off, light on and by the end it was 26-28C in there.
Didn’t get much rise so I think this is my main issue. Started the pre shape phase anyways, rest on bench around 12:40 pm.
I know it is a process, I just wanted to bake something, that is ready in a day because I am not at home tomorrow.
Should I just do the bulk fermentation until the dough doubles? Regardless the time?
And then shape and proof in fridge, bake next morning?
Should I be more cautious about temperature, technique? Any suggestion, recommendation is welcomed.

The end result is not that bad, it has a great crunch, the crumb was a little bit sticky but enjoyable. Toasts well, has a great taste.

1 Like

That is an amazing first sourdough bread. What does it taste like?
Your starter will continue to mature and grow stronger over the next few weeks or so. Always watch the dough and not the clock. Allowing it to double is a good rule of thumb. Yes, not all recipes follow that but when in doubt it’s a good way to know the bulk has been done properly. I actually prefer to allow the dough to double even when the recipe doesn’t call for it. In my opinion it’s better but at the end of the day you do whatever suits you best. I’m very impressed with your first sourdough bake. What does it taste like?

Thank you! It tastes like bread haha, it has a mild taste, not that sour. Both the starter and the bread was prepared only with all purpose flour. I just added some rye flour to my starter and will try my next bread with bread flour.
Is it ok then if the bulk fermentation takes much longer than supposed to? Should the end sign be a doubled dough? I may start the process in the morning, do the stretch and folds and leave it for bulk fermentation until it doubles. I will check how the day goes before I try to do the same process with overnight fermentation.
After this, can I put into the fridge or should I shape first and put in the fridge with a banneton?
I am curious what will happen with my other loaf that went to fridge yesterday.
Baking sourdough bread is a process for sure, need to experiment with techniques. My dough this first time was nothing like the ones I saw online. It was stretchy but kinda stiff, still manageable. Not like that stretchy soft you see everywhere. It is really hard to explain. Next time I will take some pictures and notes during the process.

Your bread looks great! More fermentation will open the crumb a bit, but you’ll likely lose some of that ear. More water also can speed the fermentation and open the crumb a bit. Basically, you can be aware of a bunch of different variables, you can try to manage them, and/or you can watch the dough and not the clock.

Here are some articles you might find interesting/helpful:

Thanks! I will look into these articles. Next time I will just watch the dough and see how it reacts.
This is the bread from the fridge. This one didn’t rise either when doing the bulk fermentation and some proofing in the oven, but got bigger from the fridge after cca. 26 hrs. It kinda looked overproofed, but kept its shape. I really like the marks on the outside. The crumb doesn’t have big holes. I don’t mind, it is not sticky and tastes really good. I think I didn’t fold it properly, was kinda loose when 8 put it into the banneton.

2 Likes

I think this one looks even better! Two loaves and both of them great. As you continue to feed, maintain and use your starter it’ll continue to strengthen over the coming month and you’ll find it’ll work more closely to the timings given although you should always watch the dough and not the clock.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! I really find pleasure in this bread baking process, and there is a lot to learn. Hopefully this is not beginner’s luck only :smile: