Trying New Flour and Starter Home

I had some time to kill this weekend, and my wife bought me the Sourhouse Goldie for my starter.

In short, I would say the starter warmer wouldn’t be necessary at all, and not advantageous for many. That said, I keep my house rather cold, particularly in the winter (~60f). As such, it does prove helpful for me to get more activity from my starter quicker. So for me, while unnecessary, I would say it was a good addition to my arsenal. Additionally, it definitely looks better than the bowl with a hand towel I was using to hold the jar. I’ve pictured it below with what I think it most resembles. :smile:

File_001

As for the bread, I recently made my first purchase from Cairnspring Mills. I purchased a bag of their Trailblazer bread flour. While I had made some simple yeasted dinner rolls with it, I had not tried my hand at a sourdough loaf - until this weekend. I’m not sure what the content level the flour has in terms of bran and/or germ, but I liked the flour. I normally make ~75% hydration dough, and at that level, this dough came together very quickly in my Ankarsrum. For my next loaf, I will definitely consider something at or above 80%.

I tend to struggle with the bulk fermentation when I make anything with sourdough. I tend to under proof due to my fear of over proofing. It continues to be my challenge, but one I graciously accept. All in all, this loaf turned out okay, and the flavor was on point. While expensive, I will also likely be trying other types of flour from this company.

That said, if anyone has any other recommendations, I am all ears. I’ve regularly used King Arther and Bob’s Red Mill, but have also tried Central Milling.

1 Like

Thoughtful present for a baker! The crust on your loaf is amazing, nice bake.
Benny