Trying a pumpernickel

Sorry I haven’t posted in awhile but hope to get more baking done this winter. I have been baking my SD but pretty much table baking the same bread over and over. I just started a new recipe for a pumpernickel. 50g rye 550g bread flour (Bobs) 1/2 cup SD starter 1/4 molasses in water to make 450g 1/4 raisins 2tsp salt. Ill ferment that overnight. I’ll update you if anything good comes of this(•‿•)

2 Likes

The fermentation has been slow I guess for a couple reasons the heaviness of the dough and the temperature. I moved it to by the woodstove to speed it up. Thinking back I may have accidentally only used 1/4 cup starter. It’ll go eventually I guess.

Ok well the woodstove warmed it enough to get a nice rise. It came out very tasty indeed. Not sure I would change anything except correct the amount of yeast.

Pumpernickel is usually 100% rye. This is an interesting recipe.

Interesting in what way? Yeah not as dark either but a bread I just came up with not sure what to call it. I was thinking using some dark stout I have kegged in place of the water to darken the color for another variation.

When you said it was pumpernickel and it had very little rye in it. What you want to make is a beer bread. Should be simple enough to swap some, or all, of the water with beer. And perhaps add in some molasses.

Try this…

I looked at that but I think I would use all stout for the liquid and up the Rye in my recipe. 200g rye flour 400g bread flour 1/4 cup molasses in stout to make 450g ( BrewCat Oyster Stout if you can get it :joy:) 1/2 cup SD starter 2tsp salt 1/4 raisins

1 Like

Sounds good to me! Adding some molasses will give it some nice flavour and a darker crumb.

I shall need to see if I can get some. Be sure to post your results.

Well use an oversized loaf pan so didn’t get great hight put it tastes very good

Better view of the crumb
It has a lot of molasses and stout I was surprised it rose at all. Probably over proofed a bit by the wood stove. I overslept and my wife loaded the stove and the dough got a bit warm