Traditional Whole Grain Miche over proofed

Traditional Whole Grain Miche
All grain was milled on my Mockmill
Over Proofed I gave it 24 hours in the refrigerator and then took it shaped it and placed in proofing basket.
Waited 2 hours and turned on oven to get to 485 and baked in Breadtopia hearth baker for 45 minutes took top off and checked internal temperature (205) placed on cooling rack.

Disaster

Not quite the method i’d use for wholegrain. But then again without the recipe, method and crumb shot I can’t really say what the issue was for sure.

Go easy with the fermentation with 100% home milled wholegrain.

Here is a photo of the crumb.

Also, if followed the recipe.
Question: Did the warm kitchen and the delay in baking cause the flat loaf?
Our temperature in the kitchen was about 72-74 degrees I brought the dough out from the refrigerator where it was in a bowl for bulk fermentation for about 24 hours. The dough was sticky and
hard to handle and shaped in an oval. I placed in my oval proofing basket.
I left it in the proofing basket for about 2 hours to run an errand. Returned home and turned on the oven to pre-heat…Baked at 485 for 45 minutes for an internal temperature of 203.
The taste was sour and some of the best tasting bread that I can remember.

I thin this is over fermented. The stickiness after the bulk ferment and the crumb points to over fermentation. Over fermented can produce a very nice flavour and as long as you’re enjoying it that’s the main thing. If you suspect over fermentation and it’s a difficult to handle sticky dough then it can easily be made into a focaccia.

Thank you for your comments. Next time I will use less starter. I felt that 100 grams of starter to build the Leven was a bit much.I used Melissa’s recipe.

I just had a look at the recipe. As with all recipes one will have to allow for variables when adapting to your own kitchen and flour. @Fermentada miche came out beautifully and indeed it was a long ferment however Melissa’s refrigerator may be colder than yours, her starter may also differ and the temp of your dough may have have been warmer before putting it into the fridge. And i’m sure there will be other things to think about as well.

Another thing that occurred to me was you felt the dough had over fermented by the time you took it out of the fridge and still left it for two hours to final proof. The recipe, even when not over proofed, suggests 1-4 hours. If a dough has over fermented i’d be tempted to get it into the oven sooner rather then later. And also it might have helped to turn it into a pan loaf to give it more support. Another thing to think about.

But it is tasty and i’m sure it’ll get eaten up. That’s still a success.

The crumb of your loaf looks good. I agree with @abe that less fermentation will give your dough more manageability and the final bread more height. Lowering the starter amount could do the trick, also using cold water, the back of your refrigerator, ending the first rise sooner – a lot of ways to slow things down.