Toaster and countertop ovens

I’m losing my oven for a year and am thinking about buying a large Wolf or Breville countertop toaster oven to replace it. Has anyone baked bread in either oven, or proofed dough?

Thanks,

PB

Hi Patricia,
I don’t have direct experience with those but have read that either should work. If you think about an oven is just a heat source. You might have to adjust your technique for the space. Don’t make the same mistake I did when I bought a Wisco countertop convection oven that one can’t turn the fan off and that fan is really strong so much so that it interferes with the normal cooking of things. Hope this helps.
Stu

1 Like

Good points, thank you, Stu!

Patricia, I got my first Sharp microwave convection oven 10 years ago. Best purchase I ever made. Full micro, large convection baking - or both together. Slow cooker, too. The turntable gave up the ghost a few months ago, so after looking at other models and realizing the Sharp was the only one that lets you choose a temp for combo cooking (apparently they own a patent on that feature), I got the brand new model that just came out last year. I love it, and wouldn’t be without it! However, though it bakes anything wonderfully, I wouldn’t use it for proofing. I have a Brod and Taylor proofer, as anything else simply doesn’t provide the steady and consistent temperatures you need for bread. Makes a great dehydrator, too. Hope this helps!

Thank you, Lisa, I will check it out!

I have used a Brenvillle smart convection oven for several years and it is outstanding for several reasons. true temperatures, convection, large size, will fit a 12 inch skillet or a muffin pan or 13 inch pizza pan. I have made cakes, bread, pies , muffins. Recently I had my Romertrof round baker pre heating in a 500 degree oven and forgot about it and the lower element melted so I put the loaf in the hot pot and put the lid upside down and put it in the toaster oven at 400 and it came out perfect! It also has a removal bottom crumb pan which helps keep it clean. I recommend getting the bamboo cutting board for the top as it helps looks and is very handy,
There is a larger size with more features that came out after I bought mine it is around $350 and my model is now near $200 on Amazon. I think I save money in the long run for reduced use of the big stove oven. I wouldn’t be without one and have recommended this to many of my foodie buddies who have thanked me later!

Thank you for your very helpful response!

Hi Patricia,
I LOVE my Breville oven and we use it multiple times of day. It seems to do everything it’s supposed to do very well. I particularly like it’s amazingly fast pre-heat and it holds the temperature very well. I have baked my sourdough bread in it several times when I’m only making one loaf. It did an excellent job, though maneuvering the cast iron Dutch oven in the small-ish space was more difficult than in my regular oven. However, not difficult enough to not use it. I’ve had my oven a little over a year now and can find no cons. It’s an expensive purchase for a small countertop appliance but, imho, worth every cent.

1 Like

No cons is good! Thank you so much.

I bought a Breville convection toaster oven last year and absolutely love it. This particular one is quite big inside. I’ve put full chickens in there to re-heat, and apparently it can fit a full 13 inch pizza inside (although I haven’t tried it).
It also doesn’t look horrible, which is a big plus for something that will invariably be sitting on your counter all of the time.
but if you still hesitating between models I suggest to take a look at this post: https://www.reviewho.com/best-convection-oven-reviews/
which covers the best convection oven models at 2019, hope it will help make you decision.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts, and the link.

I don’t have any personal experience with either of them but anyone of them would work. I am using a 4 Slice Toaster Oven and it really works well and fulfills all my needs.

1 Like

I would also say, I love my Breville Smart Oven Air! I regularly bake loaves in mine. During the summer it doesn’t heat up the house, and when it’s cold outside the proofing feature is very much appreciated. I do a half turn about 1/2 way through any bake just to ensure an even bake. I bought mine when they first came out, and would buy it again. I use mine every day.