Toasted Buckwheat Porridge Sourdough Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

Very late, or should I say early morning, so just a quick post to thank you Melissa. Fresh out the oven. Bit of a runaway oven spring as I ran out of time and if I left it any longer it’d be too late. Another 30 minutes would have been ideal. For now i’ll leave a photo and will write up more tomorrow.

For the wholegrain I used this mix of Spelt, Emmer and Einkorn. It also comes with some seeds…

Because I had no means of draining the liquid efficiently and squeezing the buckwheat groats instead I soaked the toasted groats and then made the final dough by adding the remaining ingredients and enough extra water till it felt right.

Delicious! Toasted buckwheat sourdough is really lovely. Great recipe Melissa. Another one on my baking repertoire.

1 Like

That looks wonderful Abe, you must be pleased. I now have in my possession some buckwheat flour. I am wondering about using it in a bread as a tangzhong or scald since it doesn’t have any gluten. At some point I’ll make a pancake from it to see what it tastes like.
Benny

1 Like

Thank you Benny. I really love buckwheat in sourdough as it toasts up so well. See my comments to Happycat on TFL about the differences between the flour and groats. When using a large percentage or 100% buckwheat the whole groats imo are far better. One can use the gel they form as a binder to give a lovely texture. Buckwheat flour tends to have a dry mouth feel and lacks the gel. Delicious either way though and i’m sure using it in a tangzhong will be a good way around all this as it’ll be another way to gel it up.

1 Like

I’ll get around to trying buckwheat soon I think, I’ve long been curious as to the flavour of it. Anyhow, your loaf looks very inviting and delicious.
Benny

1 Like

That looks fantastic and the runaway oven spring seems like an asset to the crumb.

1 Like

That looks very tasty, Abe. I grew up eating buckwheat pancakes and love the flavor of buckwheat. I have found that using a small percentage of buckwheat flour in bread doesn’t have enough buckwheat flavor and I always add toasted buckwheat groats to increase the flavor, or I’ve added toasted groats to spelt, rye, and bread flour without using buckwheat flour and find the flavor is about the same. When my wife and I go out to dinner, I always think her dinner looks better than mine, and I always think your breads (and Benny’s and Melissa’s) look tastier than what I have made.
Happy New Year,
Richard

2 Likes

Thank you @Fermentada. You are correct! Turns out the crumb was good and all I got was a taller loaf. Not complaining. Happy New Year.

Thank you, Richard. And just so you know… that is exactly what we think when we see your breads. Gotta agree with you when it comes to buckwheat. Love the taste and even better when toasted. Invariably I always toast the bread anyway.

Happy New Year.

I think all of us believe the grass is greener and the breads are tastier when we see each other’s breads.
Happy New Year
Benny

This is our “daily w/w house bread” that I make all the time. Now for a change up! I’ve been wanting to get rid of that last cup or so of buckwheat groats in the pantry! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Your house bread looks tasty. I hope you enjoy the departure into buckwheat territory for a loaf :slight_smile:

Just a quick question: Can you use packaged kasha instead of toasting buckwheat groats?

I think that would be fine.

I’ll definitely be making this too Melissa. I love using buckwheat. My favourite is buckwheat pancakes - more like crepes than American-style pancakes - with fresh berries folded into the pancake and spread on top with lots of lemon juice. American-style pancakes are more like what we call pikelets, except you guys use pancake batter. Thanks for the fyi about buckwheat written into the recipe description because it makes it great to pass around, Susi :blush:

Here’s the Buckwheat Porridge Sourdough! I took it out @210 degrees, I should’ve followed my “instincts” and kept it on a wee bit longer for more browning….:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Loved this recipe. I did add flax seed, raisins, sliced almonds, and minced candied ginger. Thanks for good eats! I also used kasha for the buckwheat.

That combination of flavors is intriguing, sounds delicious.

It is. I’m actually enjoying it now.

1 Like

I’ve baked this twice now. I’m a relatively novice baker and this was both really easy and delicious. Very different flavor. Thank you! The only tricky part is timing my starter so that’s ready in the morning.