Toasted Buckwheat Millet Gluten Free Bread

My first attempt at a Gluten Free bread. I used a recipe I found on the net, since I needed somewhere to start and wanted to bake a hearth loaf. I think I had some success but overfermented a bit. I would certainly reduce the IDY more than I did already to slow things down. By the time the oven was ready, there were quite a few holes in top of the dough in the banneton. The changes I made to the original recipe including substituting millet for brown rice flour, toasting the buckwheat flour and changing the ADY to IDY and further reducing the amount of IDY even after the conversion.

INSTRUCTIONS

• Toast buckwheat flour in a small pan on the stovetop
  • In a bowl, mix together the psyllium husk and 278.6 g water. After about 30 – 60 seconds, a gel will form.
  • In a small bowl, mix together sugar, IDY and 174.2 g water
  • In a large bowl, mix together the buckwheat flour, tapioca starch, millet flour and salt, until evenly combined.
  • Add the yeast mixture, psyllium gel and apple cider vinegar to the dry ingredients. Knead the dough until smooth and it starts coming away from the bowl, about 5 – 10 minutes. You can knead by hand or using a stand mixer with a dough hook.
  • Transfer the bread to a lightly oiled surface and knead it gently, forming it into a smooth ball. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, seam side down, cover with a damp tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
  • Once risen, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface using rice flour, and knead it gently while forming it into a tight ball (see post for step-by-step photos). Flip it seam side down onto a part of the work surface that isn’t covered in flour and rotate in place to seal the seams.
  • Place the dough into a banneton that you’ve dusted with some rice flour with the seams facing upwards. Cover with a damp tea towel and proof in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
  • While the loaf is proofing, pre-heat the oven to 480 ºF (250 ºC) set up for steam baking to your preference whether in a dutch oven or open steaming.
  • Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it out of the banneton onto a piece of parchment paper and score the top with a pattern of choice (the easiest pattern is a cross, about ¼ – ½ inch deep), using a lame. Transfer the bread along with the baking paper into the oven.
  • Bake at 480 ºF (250 ºC) with steam for 20 minutes – don’t open the Dutch oven or the oven doors during this initial period, as that would allow the steam to escape out of the oven.
  • After the 20 minutes, remove the bottom tray with water from the oven (for cast iron skillet) or uncover the Dutch oven/combo cooker, reduce the oven temperature to 450 ºF (230 ºC), and bake for a further 40 - 50 minutes in a steam-free environment. The final loaf should be of a deep, dark brown colour. If the loaf starts browning too quickly, cover with a piece of aluminium foil, shiny side up, and continue baking until done.

Considering it was my first time working with gluten free dough, I’m pretty happy with the bake overall. The crumb had a soft and not gummy texture. The crust is quite a bit thinner than regular bread and had a nice crispness to it.

2 Likes

That looks like a beautiful gluten free loaf, Benny. How does it taste? My daughter has struggled with long Covid for over two years, and a gluten free diet is recommended. I’ve only tried the pre-mixed gluten free flours from Breadtopia and KA and am always looking for recipes that have excellent taste.
Richard

1 Like

Thank you Richard, I think it was a good first effort. The flavour was fine, but I can’t say that it was great or anything. I did miss the whole wheat flavour that I’ve grown to love when eating this. I’m not sure what the millet tastes like and I don’t think that tapioca flour has much flavour. I think I would rethink the flours to see what other gluten free flours could add to the bread for flavour. I could see replacing the tapioca with more toasted buckwheat because at least I know that has a flavour. Perhaps oat flour instead of tapioca or instead of the millet. I guess I need to make a millet pancake to see what the millet tastes like.
Benny

Two ideas Benny. Firstly, I think adding a bit of chickpea flour will give it more a bready flavour. It’ll also add more protein. And secondly, why not try the Broa de Milho way of shaping? Allow the dough to bulk ferment then shape by swirling it around in the bowl with a dusting of flour (rice?) and then bake straight away. It’s a gentle shaping, does make for a more closed even crumb but takes away the final proofing and the question of over proofing. It’ll oven spring more where the scoring will help.

1 Like

I would never have thought that using some chickpea flour would give gluten free bread a more breads flavour, very interesting idea Abe. The Broa de Milho shaping is an interesting suggestion as well, I’ve never tried it but this style of bread might be a good one to try it on. I do have to admit though that shaping this dough into a batard was actually fine and not hard to shape at all. Thanks for the suggestions.
Benny

Many gluten free breads don’t have a bulk, shape and final proof because of the lack of gluten. Usually it’s a shape and one proof. Or a proof, shape then bake straight away like the Broa di Milho. The style of bulk, shape and final proof for wheat breads is because they do have more structure. Then again baking gluten free has come a long way when it comes to binders which makes using the traditional wheat bread method more possible whereas Broa di Milho has nothing but corn meal and maybe some rye. Swirling to shape works well for gluten free breads with less structure plus it stays in the bowl and there’s no mess. Just an idea to try. I was surprised too at how a bit of chickpea flour brings with it the bready flavour.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! Looks great, I will try to bake the same this weekend

1 Like

I hope you like it and have success @Peniaber
Benny