This has become a favorite

This has become my favorite bread recipe.

It’s sour dough, 1/3 spelt flour and 2/3 white. There is about 1 1/4 C of sprouted spelt berries. I use a total of 900 grams of flour which allows 4 epis from the same batch as the boule. After dividing the dough, I shape the boule and drop it in the proofing bowl for the final rise. Then, using a floured counter, I roll out the epis into rolls, and place them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with wheat germ and salt (lightly on the salt). I found a slotted spoon worked well for sprinkling the roasted wheat germ. After about 1 - 1 1/2 hours of rise, I egg wash (I prefer egg and buttermilk for the wash) the epis and repeat the dusting with roasted wheat germ. Then using scissors, I cut and shape the epis and place them in a preheated (425°) oven for 20 minutes.

The internal temp of the epis should be about 205° when done. Take the epis out of the oven and allow to cool on an open rack. Usually by that time, the boule has almost completed it’s proofing rise and I preheat the clouche to 475° for 30 minutes and proceed with the regular boule preparation and baking. The only seasonings are a little salt, and the flavors are all natural grain flavors and delicious.

Can you tell us more about sprouted spelt berries? Do you buy them like that? What do they look like? Sounds amazing.

I buy them from a local vendor, Outpost Foods, as spelt wheat berries (raw unground wheat). They take 2 - 3 days to sprout, much like you would with alfalfa or been sprouts. I have a canning jar that has a screened top. I rinse and leave it tipped upside down to drain each day to keep it fresh and moist. After they sprout, they are ready to incorporate into your dough. Baking them turns them into nice little crunchy berries. Delicious and a treat.

1 Like

So…could I use uncracked wheat berries and then sprout them, and then grind them into flour?

This is a whole new world to me! Thank you for a response. I can’t wait.

:slight_smile:

Paula

Hi Paula, Yes. In fact, King Arthur sells it as a specialty flour