Thin, crispy crust eludes me

Continuing the discussion from Sticky dough:

@anon66425146 I’ve baked at high temp in a Romertopfs as well as Dutch ovens, then lowered to 450F for the last 15-20 minutes after removing the cover. I always get that thick, crispy (which turns more to chewy after a day or so), but how might I get a thin, crispy crust?

In @peevee post Whole Grain Sourdough Rustic Country Loaf , Paul describes his process:

From 30 - 60 minutes after transferring dough into proofing basket, pre-heat oven and clay baker to 450 degrees F ~ about 20 - 30 minutes.
Uncover dough and transfer from proofing basket into base of clay baker, score top of dough, cover and bake at 450 F for 25 minutes.
Uncover clay baker, reduce oven temperature to 400 F and bake uncovered for another 20-25 minutes (or until desired crust color develops).
Remove bread and place on cooling rack for at least a couple hours before cutting.

It worked for me - I’ve only tried it once with the flour combo I describe in that post but it worked for me. Essentially, lower temp for longer in a closed vessel.

1 Like

I’ve never had a sourdough loaf that was ready to bake in 30-60 minutes. I’m sorry that I didn’t specify that I make mostly lean sourdough artisan style loaves. My sourdough loaves usually have 12 or more hours of retardation in their final rise. I bake the dough cold, right from the fridge. Would baking at these lowered temps give the same results? Should I just experiment?

I often shape at night and bake cold direct from frig the next morning. Doing that and wanting a thin, crispy crust, my first try would be the 450 for 24 min, 400 for 20-25 uncovered . I’d check internal temp the first time or so until I knew the timing worked, but yes ultimately you will have to experiment with your dough, your oven, your everything :slight_smile:

Happy to experiment with everything: one variable at a time.

1 Like

What works for me is a preheated 500 oven. Immediately turn down to 450 when bread goes in a very hot covered dutch oven or clay pot. Bake for at least 30 minutes covered. Then uncovered until temp reaches 205-210.

It worked! Now if I could just avoid that hot spot in my oven. They’re so much easier to slice now. I didn’t think,that was possible without enrichment.

1 Like

Those loaves look beautiful and glad you got the crust you wanted!

1 Like

Glad things finally worked out for you, as with most things you just keep trying different things until either by accident or fate the process works, Just don’t give up on your ideas! The hot spot in your oven may be cured by placing a pizza stone or something similar on the rack just below your bread,That worked for my oven At least that worked for me, Now I get much even oven temperatures. Now my problem is eating all the bread is putting on the pounds that I really don’t need.