Supermarket Flour - Wheat

I made a sourdough starter with both AP and wheat flour (Walmart). I just want a wheat loaf of bread with it. Basic All Purpose Sourdough Bread - can I just use the wheat flour I have? All I see are references to expensive flours, home-milled, etc. What about the newbie using store-bought to learn using a sourdough starter?

I would like to make an artisan boule, maybe rolls with the dough,

By wheat flour do you mean wholegrain or white flour. What is the protein percentage?

Can you post a link to the product?

Hello Joan,

You can use one or both of the flours you have. Use the AP flour if you want a white loaf, the whole wheat flour if you want a whole wheat bread, or your could use a combination, such as 80% AP flour + 20% whole wheat flour. I’d probably do the latter, an 80/20 combination to start with. Walmart carries a variety of brands of flour. I’d consider picking up a bag of any brand labeled “bread flour.” It has a little more protein than AP flour and will give you a better rise. You don’t necessarily have to use an expensive flour. Bob’s Red Mill is excellent and usually moderately priced, and Walmart also carries Gold Medal, and King Arthur although it’s a little more expensive. Let us know how your boule and rolls turn out.

Richard

If you’re using this recipe as a framework, try adding an additional 1/4 cup water (60 grams) if you use storebought whole wheat flour, which is usually very thirsty.