Summertime bread baking outdoor oven

I’m looking for a oven or cooking method for outdoor summer cooking. Ideally propane as fuel. I did see a post about using a pellet smoker but wasn’t sure if my bread would taste “smoky” ?

I have baked bread in my RecTeq pellet smoker and it was not at all smoky. At the temperature bread bakes, pellet smokers are very clean burning.

Keith

Thank you Keith, can I ask do you use a Dutch oven inside of a baking stone?

@Terriermom Welcome to our forum! BTW, I love your name! I’m a total dog person. Our home is ruled by one and we totally adore him.

@KeithG2965 My husband and I have a vertical Pit Boss pellet smoker we use weekly. Honestly though, I have never baked bread in it. Even in the summer, I just bake bread in my oven.

Blessings,
Leah

I actually have baked 2 different ways in the pellet grill. First was sandwich loaves in bread pans and second on a stone uncovered.

Both worked fine. The sandwich loaves were done to cube up for Thanksgiving dressing. The other loaf was just for eating.

All that said, lately everything has been in the kitchen oven as it is much more consistent. Pellet grills, by design, fluctuate in temperature. What the readout displays is a time weighted average temperature.

Keith

@KeithG2965 We do love using our smoker but I heartily agree that the temperature fluctuates quite a bit on any given day, especially in the cooler weather. As for me, I’m just sticking to my kitchen oven for baking.

Blessings,
Leah

Hi Leah,
Don’t blame you. There is a difference between “can do” something and “should do” something. Baking bread in a smoker is a “can do” not a “should do”.

Keith

1 Like

Thank you Leah for responding and for the info, I appreciate it! BTW I have a Smooth Fox Terrier and just inherited a miniature Schnauzer … They are handfuls!

1 Like

Good to know, thank you . I will keep looking for alternative solutions. I have been looking into the Anova and also a Gozney Dome pizza oven if anyone has any insight to either it would be helpful

1 Like

We had a hurricane in October!! I had a super high hydration loaf ready to bake and no oven so I put a combo cooker on the gas barbecue grill with an oven thermometer and baked in that! Makes a beautiful loaf!

Thanks Angelag, I think that’s going to be my experiment in the next couple of days, thanks for the tip

1 Like

@Angelag483 Angela, SO sorry about the hurricane! Got to say “WOW” at your ingenuity and ability to still bake bread in the wake of the storm! I’m extremely impressed.

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

[quote=“Leah1, post:12, topic:22540, full:true”]
@Angelag483 Angela, SO sorry about the hurricane! Got to say “WOW” at your ingenuity and ability to still bake bread in the wake of the storm! I’m extremely impressed.

Blessings,
Leah
[/quote]

1 Like

@Angelag483 Angela, THAT’S the bread you baked in a grill with a hurricane? That’s huge! WOW!

Leah

1 Like

Oh no!! I replied to your reply with your reply…I’m a mess. Thank you Leah! We are old veterans of storms!! My first, that I remember was Betsy in ‘65. The bread was an adaptation of a corn porridge(grits) roasted garlic. It was very good and as you can see the bottom got a little dark but I’m happy to report that I adjusted and baked again several times. It gets very hot here so it really is a good alternative if you must!

Yep!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@Angelag483 Angela, you’re definitely NOT a mess! You’re an inspiration!

Leah

1 Like